Prologue

"Lang, you got a visitor."

Scott's head was hung low in shame as he was escorted to the visiting area. The only visits he had gotten since he was arrested was from his ex-wife, and he didn't think he could handle another visit from her. To hear her yell and tell him he'd never see Cassie again if he kept up this stealing gig.

He didn't want to hear that. Not again.

But it wasn't Maggie sitting at the table waiting for him. It was his old friend CJ. The minute Scott walked through the door, CJ was on her feet. Neither one of them spoke. Neither one of them really had to speak. The moment Scott was close enough, CJ wrapped her arms around him. He hesitated before hugging her back. The prison guard who had escorted Scott yanked hard at the collar of his orange jumpsuit.

"No physical contact," he hissed before shoving Scott into a chair. CJ's face was beginning to turn red. Scott knew what was coming next.

"Could you at least treat him like a human being?!" she snapped. "No wonder people hate prison! It's not the inmates, it's the guards that think they're above everyone in here!"

The guard didn't say anything. He backed away to give CJ and Scott privacy and crossed his arms, staring at CJ. CJ glared back. The staring contest went on for a few minutes before Scott finally managed to coax CJ to sit.

"C," Scott started. "I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how you heard about this."

"Maggie called me," CJ replied. "She sounded pissed. I wanted to go over and see her and Cassie, but..." CJ trailed off. She didn't have to finish. Scott knew why she'd be hesitant. CJ would stand up for Scott till the end of the world. CJ knew Scott wasn't a bad man, but Maggie didn't share this belief. "What the hell persuaded you to break into Geoff Zorick's mansion and steal?! I thought you were over that, Scotty!"

"I am, C, you have to believe me," Scott replied. "VistaCorp was stealing from their customers. I was only trying to right their wrongs...then I got a bit carried away."

"You drove his car into the damn pool!"

"Like I said, carried away."

CJ rolled her eyes, but she still laughed. Scott was grateful to have a friend like CJ. She was one of the only people who stuck by him when he was arrested at Zorick's house. She was the only friend who stuck by him when he'd get in trouble in school. She'd even take the fall so he didn't have to endure detention along. In many ways, CJ was exactly what Scott needed.

CJ sighed. "Stay safe in here, okay?"

Scott chuckled. "Come on, C. You know me. Nothing's going to happen to me. In fact, when I get out of prison, you'll be the first person I call."

"You promise."

Scott rested his elbow on the table and extended his pinky to CJ. "Pinky promise."

CJ laughed. "You're such a child."

The two locked pinkies and the promise was made.