Because Some New Things Never Get Old

I made my way to the Baggage Claim area at the Baltimore Airport, past the hoards of people rushing past me. My air journey from Minnesota had been smooth despite the turbulence predicted by the weather forecast.

I brought out my phone from my Elmo back pack, a cute gift from Emily, Uncle Joey's daughter from whose place I had now migrated for college. I was going to miss my non-biological sister a lot. I texted my uncle saying I reached Baltimore safely.

Having collected my baggage, I scrambled my way out of the airport to the taxi stand. I booked an Uber where a  small guy, with a snowy white mustache offered to ride me to my new place which I had booked a month ago soon after I got admitted to John's Hopkins School of Medicine. The apartment was quite close to my college, within walking distance

When I finally reached there, I was pretty much satisfied with my choice of housing. It consisted of two bedrooms excluding a hall and a kitchen. The only thing missing though was a room mate. So, right now it felt lonely.

Having unpacked my luggage, I attempted to complete furnishing the semi-furnished flat left over by the Latino owner, an adorable old lady who sneakily sold her home to me on a Skype call! But she wasn't exaggerating it it any way, I see that now. There were beds, cupboards, a teak-wood coffee table and a really comfortable sofa. The only things lacking, were a few electronic appliances.

After having a nice refreshing hot shower following the flight journey, I decided to explore the city I'd be spending the next part of my life, and do some shopping whilst I was at it. It was time to get my pantry stocked up.

So, after scavenging for the necessities and purchasing most of the items on my shopping list I reached home. A long exhausting day as it was, I ordered pizza to keep it hassle-free.

In the mean time, I dusted off the house, put up some curtains, bed-sheets and table mats in order to set the place in order.

I had my dinner while watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix. Well, actually I was on the verge of binge watching. But the thought that my college was due in less than a week prevented me from falling into a loop.

So, I changed into my tee and shorts and retired to sleep.

             ***********************************

I stood in front of the optical store, intensely staring at the various vibrant colored contact lenses. I had a hard time deciding which shade but somehow I finally decided to manage with the grey color. I also picked up the dirty blonde hair creme color.

Yes, it's true, I was having a total make-over. Not exactly a Pre-university preparation but it was more of a necessity at the time.

I was naturally gifted with wavy, red hair and deep blue eyes, the exact same shade as that of my father's. I was slightly chubby which revealed a slight dimple on my cheek whenever I smiled genetically gifted from my father.

So having collected all the essentials for a makeover, I headed towards the cash counter and smiled politely at a young man who billed the items up for me.

I couldn't quite catch his face properly, as his form was partially covered by the counter. I chanced a glimpse of his hazel brown eyes just for a nanosecond. His gaze flickered at me for an instant and I swear I could feel his piercing gaze at me as I looked away. Day one and I'm already burning up at random men at the store? How desperate was my inner self.

Anyways.

I signed my credit card bill and handed over the store copy to him. Next, I hurried to the book store where I had to pick up my text books and stationary for college.
Having done that, I stopped for groceries and finally reached home.

I had met Mrs. Victoria, a middle aged woman earlier this morning. She lived across the hallway, in short, my closest neighbour. And she warmly welcomed me and offered me to put up a notice for a new room mate. And being the responsible 19 year old that I am, I obliged to her humble request.

My college was due in two days. This was going to be last weekend until my new life unravels before me. It was a brilliant opportunity to start over after having screwed up and blown my cover in the past. But hey, we all learn from our mistakes right?

Well lets say that one becomes a pro only after one passes the beginners' stage. I had a lot of practice by now in concealing myself effectively. I was an like a trained teenage spy. This life was just another camouflage.

              -------------------------------------

So I guess I decided to rewrite the beginning of IKAM after all. xD

Do you guys like it ?