Goddamned Democracy

'Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy.' - Silent monk

That Sunday night a got a call from Joey. He had closed in on my dad's murder case. Back in Minnesota we had tracked down and interrogated a prisoner. He had given me access because he was the head of the FBI.

But he didn't get what we wanted out of him. It was a failed attempt. That was what he informed me over the phone.

Feeling lost and defeated I went to bed that night. A wise man once told me 'What others do to you is their Karma, how you react is yours.' I don't give up. I'm a go getter.

I'm Maya Conway!

*****************************************************************

Monday morning, bustling hallways filled with students streaming in different directions, and me lost in an ocean of my own thoughts.

I followed routine, grabbed my books from my locker and headed to out lecture hall.

Today, they had an election for selecting a class representative. Talk about democracy. Gah!

The volunteer candidates were expected to campaign in pairs. Right now they had decided on selecting two pairs for the face off.

One pair consisted of a guy named Oliver Stone with a girl, Kaitlyn Cooper. Oh, by the way she was the same girl I saw at the library cubicle making out with Alex. She was really pretty, but obviously not to me. I had already designated her as a slurt.

The second pair of candidates were Alexis Blackwood and...... Oh! wait, I heard from the people seated here that he demanded to stand alone for this post. Dominant and Ruthless as always. It didn't surprise me at all. Beside me my friends, Riley, Josh and Noah started cheering while Claire started doing her cheerleader dance.

There were wolf whistles from every direction. Gawd! She loves to draw attention doesn't she? In the meantime, buried my face in my hands. Typical me.

Now, there was one problem. Our Dean disagreed and told him they'd have to dismiss him. Oh come on. I knew it wasn't going to work at all. It would be like Communism right?

Nevertheless, it smelt like success to me. So while I smirked at him evilly, I spaced out.

Alex announced "Oh okay. Alright Sir, I choose Maya Conway as my partner."

The room was filled with my name being pronounced by the people who had functional ears and had just heard Alex. They were probably wondering who I was.

In the mean time I was looking around for a bag big enough to hide my face. This couldn't be happening. Was he doing this on purpose. I guess he'd figured out I hated to draw people's attention. And he is Satan after all.

The dean spoke up this time breaking up the commotion "Maya Conway, an excellent choice. She is the one who secured first rank in Pre-Medical exam after all. Please could you come onto the podium, Miss Conway."

OK I was humiliated. Wait humiliation is an understatement. Devastated, broke and traumatized.

I infinitesimally slowly got up from my chair and strode sluggishly towards the podium. While I was passing by people looked at me with awe and admiration.

Wait. I expected hatred and envy. They admired me now? Some one please tell me what is up with the universe!?

So my nerves calmed down just a little bit, until it shot back up when I saw 4 eyes glaring at me. 2 pairs that belonged to my rival candidates.

I felt like I was in an episode of Game of thrones.

"We're lucky to have someone like you in our University. You will guide my students well" he told me when I approached him.

"Good day, sir" I wished him and continued "I'd be glad to do so. But I franky do not want to accept this post, sir. I don't think it's my thing. So please do not force me." I told him, desperation in my eyes.

Alex shrugged his shoulders. He mouthed please to me and gave me a desperate look.

But up until now, I was used to stand by myself. I was independent. I denied.

The dean felt defeated. "Looks like you students have lost a good leader. So Alex, anyone else on your mind? Or do we call it a unanimous vote?" he said glancing at Oliver and Kaitlyn.

I chanced a look at them. They looked so evil and scheming. For a fraction of a Nanosecond I thought of surrendering my vows and taking up the post. But I wasn't used to breaking my promises.

Hell! I even kept the promise I made to the Devil and not to myself?

But apparently Alex did choose someone else. It was Edna Collins, she had a sweet and sour personality. For what I knew till now, she was light-years better than slurty Kaitlyn.

And the voting began.