i

LOVING HER

"Ax," a voice called. The boy turned his head away from the star-encrusted sky to look at her, wary trembling in her eyes. "You're home."

Axel paused. He already knew that. Where some people found their home in family and buildings, Axel found it in the poignant absence of light. Where darkness was a soft hush to wipe his tears and a comforting hand to grip after the day. It was a place where familiar shadows lapped and twisted and he engulfed himself within them. Darkness was Axel's home.

But the girl sitting beside him didn't know that. She couldn't. A flicker of realization hit him, and Axel turned to look out the car window. There, surrounded by even grass and reaching boldly for the sky, stood his two-story childhood home. He glanced back at her, worry denting her soft features.

He forced a smile, fingers fumbling for the handle as he turned. "Thanks, Christina." The lock clicked open.

She grabbed the sleeve of his hoodie. "Wait."

It was one word, yet her voice managed to crack like the world itself was weighing down on her tongue. His shoulders fell at its impact and his plastic smile withered into distraught. Axel turned to face her, a strand of auburn hair hung in front of her face and he was sure he saw her throat throb. "Are you ok?" she asked. He didn't deserve her.

"Chris," he was careful to ensure his smile wasn't so tight-lipped this time, "I'm fine."

A sigh fell from her lips and she shook her head. "No, you're not." Christina took her other arm off the steering wheel and shifted her upper body to face him, "Ax, you don't have to stay here. Spend the winter break with me."

He hated that tone people used on him, like he was their tiresome burden or pitiful charity. It sparked a devastating relent within him. That's when he realized she was still gripping his sleeve. He pulled back his arm. "It's Christmas, Christina. I want to spend it with my family."

"Ax, they don't-" she bit her tongue and relaxed her shoulders, letting her eyes fall to the floor before she spoke again, "-Ax, you don't owe them this," she whispered, her brown eyes looking up at him.

He scoffed. "Chris," he said slowly, turning his own body to face her, "They're my family." And he made sure he was staring her dead in the eyes. Hopefully, that way she wouldn't misread his conviction for what it really was: desperation. "I owe them everything, " Axel confessed.

Her eyes didn't fall again, keeping their gazes locked; and she didn't say anything either. Her brown irises were too focused deciphering his blue ones and her lips were too filled with worry. Her back slouched and she pulled the loose strand behind her ear. "Just"-she reached up to hold his cheek, her warm thumb rubbing his cold skin-"just call me if you need anything."

A lump formed in his throat and Axel was sure the moon smiled down at them. "I'll be fine," he whispered.

She nodded and gave him one of his own smiles before grasping the steering wheel again. Axel pulled the door and got out, dismissing whatever she muttered as soon as his eyes found the captivating cobblestone path leading up to his house.

He stepped on it, each rock solidly grounded into hard concrete and the surrounding grass glistening with dew. As he made his way along the path and up the front porch, he looked over his shoulders, Christina's car was still in place.

Axel gritted his teeth before pushing open the front door.

Author's Note
We're just starting out guys and from here it will only get better! Hit that vote button if you're wondering what the hell Christina is talking about and comment if you think you know (SPOILER: you don't).