Finally Happy

"Grace! We need to get moving or you'll be late for school!" Connie slipped her other heel on before walking through to the kitchen looking about. "Charlie?"

Connie spun round hearing laughter coming from behind her. She turned to see Charlie's feet sticking out beneath the curtains in the living room. She couldn't help the smile that fell to her lips as she wandered forwards.

"Charlieee? Well I guess if you've disappeared I can't take you to see Daddy at work..." He quickly moved out from behind the curtains with a smile and ran over to Connie. She bent down lifting him up with a smile. "You are getting far too heavy for me to carry mister... GRACE!"

Seconds after her shouting there was a thudding coming down the stairs. "You might not care about being late, but I do... Now get a move on." Grace rolled her eyes walking into the hallway as Charlie ran after her.

Connie moved back to the kitchen picking up Grace's lunchbox, Charlie's bag and her car keys before wandering out to the hallway. "Here's your lunch before you forget that Grumpy." Grace just rolled her eyes in response before Connie bent down and helped Charlie with his shoes.

"Grace go get in the car." She passed her keys over before Charlie stood up and wandered outside taking Grace's hand. Connie checked the house once more for anything she'd forgotten before closing the door and rushing down to the car.

It was a 15 minute drive to Grace's school, Connie had insisted on her going to this one as she knew the standards were good. Connie was focused on the road as Grace reached forwards and turned the radio up singing.

Connie glanced sideways as her daughter sung looking out of the window. "Don't forget to bring everything home today, P.E kit, books, b-" "I know Mum-" "Because you're finished for 6 weeks today and I am not cleaning dirty clothes which have been left for two months."

They were around the corner from the school when Connie's phone rang. "Do you want me to answer that?" Connie glanced over the number shaking her head. "Hansen, he can wait... So are you excited for the summer baby?"

Grace grinned before going off about America as Connie parked outside. Grace continued to talk as she helped Charlie out of the car. Connie took his hand as they began to walk up.

"Mummy?" "Yes sweetheart." Charlie held onto her hand as they walked up towards Grace's classroom. The sight of Connie at the school had become a common site to many of the parents up there as she had been taking the time to do the simple things for her children.

"Is Daddy coming on holiday with us too-" "Holiday!?" Connie rolled her eyes as she sighed looking to Grace. "Sorry Mummy I forgot..." Grace grinned as Connie squeezed Charlie's hand. "It's alright sweetheart, and yes Daddy's coming too."

Grace folded her arms and raised a perfectly arched eyebrow, a trait from her mother which she had down to a tee. "What holiday?" "It was going to be a surprise for you because I could not cope with listening to you go on and on and on-" "Mum?"

"Tomorrow, we leave tomorrow morning for two weeks okay? Now behave yourself today, please... Or I'll let Jacob choose the music while we drive tomorrow-" "Nooooooo!" Charlie laughed as he watched Grace overreact throwing her arms in the air.

"Then be good, I'll pick you up at 3 okay. I love you." Grace surprised Connie when she wrapped her arms around her tightly. "I love you too Mum. Bye Charlie." Grace ran off inside with her friend before Connie wandered back down to the car with Charlie.

Leaving the school Connie began in the direction of the hospital. Charlie smiled away as she glanced to him in the mirror before pulling into her parking space. "Morning Mrs Beauchamp-" "Alicia, really?" The younger doctor stopped beside the car and waved excitedly to Charlie in the back.

"How's my beautiful man this morning? Shall we go and find Daddy and Cal, pleaseeee?" Charlie hugged Alicia before looking back to Connie. "Go on..." she nodded her head as Alicia and Charlie ran towards the entrance.

Connie picked up her phone and keys, putting Charlie's bag on her shoulder. "Morning, no Charlie?" "Already inside, probably tearing the department to the ground." "Just like his Mother then." Connie sarcastically smiled as she walked in beside Zoe.

"Are you sure I can't change your mind about staying?" Zoe shook her head with a smile. "I've been offered a job in the States, I'm going to take it. I need a change Connie." She nodded in understanding before Charlie's voice caught her attention. "I'll let you go..."

Connie parted ways with Zoe heading towards the nurses' station where Charlie was sitting up on the desk with Jacob standing in front of him. "Were you a good boy for Mummy this morning-" "The best, weren't you? Morning..."

"Hey you." Connie smiled as Jacob leant in and kissed her. "How is my beautiful wife doing today?" "Glad to know that this is the last day in this place for a few weeks."

Connie and Jacob had been married for two weeks, but had barely had anytime to themselves. Alicia reappeared from the staffroom and stood beside the desk. "You looking forward to tomorrow little man?" Charlie nodded enthusiastically before spotting Cal.

"Mummy-" "Go on." She lifted him down from the side as he ran across the department to Cal. "So, have you got everything packed." "I think so, but knowing Jacob there will be a hundred and one things he remembers tomorrow morning-" "Hey, I remembered everything for the wedding didn't I!"

Connie left Alicia and Jacob talking to see Cal holding Charlie. "Hey-" "Morning, Jacob said you've got a scan today." Connie smiled nodding as Charlie reached across to her. "Yeah, leaving Charlie down here to cause chaos aren't we?"

Cal quickly returned to work with Alicia while Connie went towards her office with Charlie. "Morning-" "Granddad!" "I heard there was a special visitor coming in today." Connie smiled across as Jacob appeared in the doorway.

"Ready to go sweet cheeks?" "Yeah... Promise Mummy you'll be a good boy." The young boy nodded spinning on her chair while Connie straightened back up. "Call me if you need anything Charlie, I really appreciate this." "Just go, we'll be fine."

Jacob took her hand and strolled out of the ED towards maternity. "Grace wasn't lying was she? When she said it'd be confusing calling him Charlie." Connie smiled lacing her fingers through his as they continued walking through the corridors of the hospital. "It's not confusing if you're smart, so that just leaves you to get mixed up."

They sat down in the small waiting area for a few minutes before she was called. "Mrs Masters?" Connie stood up smiling as Jacob caught her hand. "Woah... I thought you weren't changing your name-" "I said I hadn't decided, there's a difference."

Jacob watched as she walked away and towards the room completely in a daze at the woman he loved. "You coming Daddy or do you not want to see your child?" Jacob smiled moving towards the room preparing himself to see baby number two for the first time.