Chapter Two

They left the campus together, though not together-together, which sort of bugged. Like he couldn't be seen with her and that hurt, though she'd never admit it. Even dumber? She was the one who asked him to keep his distance and he'd so readily agreed, she'd been stunned.

But she didn't want her friends to see her with Tyler and start asking questions. Questions she didn't know how to answer. Tyler acted like he wanted to keep this secret too, so she went along with him.

Even though they'd never really discussed it. Even though she had no freaking clue why he wanted to come with her to her aunt's store. It was weird. She'd mulled over it all afternoon, distracted in class, most likely doing awful on her chemistry test but she couldn't worry about that. Not right now. She was too consumed with thoughts of Tyler.

Stupid, lame, he never talked to her anymore but now he was showing interest and concern for her Tyler? It made no sense.

And now here he was, following her to Cuthbert's Vintage Jewels, keeping his distance as they drew closer to the store, but always letting her know he was there. She could literally feel his gaze on her the entire time they walked, and even under such strange circumstances, she had to admit...

She kind of liked it.

Glancing over her shoulder, she watched him, their gazes connecting for the quickest second before she looked away, staring straight ahead at the sidewalk before her. They were downtown now. The store was close by. Hardly anyone was outside though, and the chilly breeze that washed over her made her glance up at the sky. Dark clouds loomed in the distance, adding to the spooky mood and she almost wanted to laugh at herself.

This was all Tyler's fault, putting this crazy thoughts in her head, insisting he come with her and not backing down. He'd always been so stubborn, even when they were younger. They used to fight over toys and sometimes he'd even make her cry, but she hadn't realized what a complete bullhead he'd become. No matter how much she'd tried to reassure him it was no big deal and he was overreacting about her aunt, he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Her personal guardian angel—who knew it would be in the form of the most gorgeous guy at school?

Of course, she couldn't let Aunt Vivian know she had someone hanging out around the store and supposedly protecting her, because he thought she was crazy and maybe even dangerous. Talk about insulting.

Hannah entered the shop, the tinkling bell above the door causing her aunt to glance up with a smile on her face. Vivian offered Hannah a discreet wave before she resumed talking to the customer standing before her, a sparkly diamond tennis bracelet stretched across a piece of blue velvet set on the counter between them.

"Every piece of jewelry tells a story," Aunt Vivian said to the customer, her voice hushed as she stroked her wrinkled, bejeweled fingers lovingly over the stones. "There is a history established that is passed from owner to owner, the piece gathering more and more stories as the years pass. Oh, if only these stones could talk. Their words would be worth far more than the diamonds themselves."

She sounded positively giddy. Aunt Vivian had always adored vintage jewelry.

"What is the story behind this particular bracelet?" the woman asked, stroking the stones as well. She was probably around Hannah's mom's age, and her eyes were wide with curiosity.

Her aunt certainly knew how to tell a good story.

"It was owned by a very wealthy woman who grew up here before moving away for school. She traveled the world, never staying in one place for too long. She eventually married a man who was considered beneath her but he loved her so much. He would shower his beloved wife with jewels on every holiday, birthday, anniversary. It didn't matter. He wanted her dripping with diamonds, always beautiful, always sparkling."