Chapter Five

They ran down the sidewalk along the street hand in hand, Tyler practically dragging her. Hannah was tired and could hardly keep up with his long-legged stride. She was breathing hard, desperate to stop and she tugged on his hand.

"I need a break," she said between harsh breaths.

He finally slowed, sending her a skeptical look over his shoulder. "You're way out of shape."

"I have asthma, remember?" Well, she hadn't had an asthma attack since seventh grade but it was a good excuse. "Plus, I'm not a big time football and basketball player like you."

He shrugged off her words, his expression modest. "I like sports," he said simply, glancing behind her with trepidation, as if he expected someone—or something—to be following them. But what? "We need to get out of here and quick."

"Where's your car?" She knew he had one, but she didn't see it parked on the curb when they left the store earlier.

"I didn't drive. I followed you on foot when you walked to the store remember? My car is still in the school parking lot."

Their high school wasn't too far from her aunt's store, just a few blocks over. But the last thing she wanted to do was walk back over there. Maybe if she called her mom, she could come get them.

"I bet my parents will pick us up," she suggested, pulling her phone out of the back pocket of her jeans. She started to dial, but the entire screen went black. And it wouldn't turn back on either, no matter what she did. She knew for a fact the battery wasn't dead. Lifting her gaze to his, she murmured, "That's weird."

Tyler pulled out his phone and scrolled through his recent calls list, hitting every number but nothing happened, until the screen went black as well. He frowned. "Mine won't work either."

A loud rumble sounded in the distance, reminding Hannah of the same terrible noise that had shaken the cemetery only moments before. "What was that?" Her voice lowered to a hushed whisper and she glanced around, realizing no one was around. The street and the buildings that lined it appeared abandoned.

Like a ghost town.

"I don't know," he whispered. They both remained still, completely frozen as the rumbling seemed to draw closer.

The roar sounded again, louder this time, and she swore she heard someone moan. "Do you think that was my aunt?"

"I don't know. It sounded more like a man to me." Tyler's worried gaze met hers once more, and he visibly swallowed.

Panic swamped her and she ran down the sidewalk toward Cuthbert's Vintage Jewels, Tyler right behind her. With trembling fingers she yanked the store keys out of her front pocket and unlocked the door, barely cracking it open so both of them could slip inside quickly. She turned the lock into place with a sharp turn of her wrist, then sagged against the door, trying to catch her breath.

"What do you think is out there?" She hadn't a clue, and really, she didn't want to know either. It was downright too freaky to even consider.

"Whatever it is, it doesn't sound good." Tyler ran to the counter and picked up the phone. "No connection. The line's dead." He slammed the phone back onto the receiver with a frustrated growl.

"Oh my God, what is happening?" She wanted to cry. She wanted to wake up from this stupid, crazy nightmare and realize it was all a dream. But it wasn't. It was very, very real and she swore there was some sort of monster—or monsters—out there. And they seemed to be looking for them.