Chapter 11

After spending most of the afternoon with Draco at Slytherin House, I walked back to Gryffindor alone. Draco said he had studying to do and wanted to concentrate, but deep down I felt like he was still lying to me. How could I not completely distrust him after he lied to me countless times? He knew I could read his mind now, yet he still thought it necessary to lie. But because of that reason, I couldn't be angry with him. I couldn't mistrust him. When he did lie, I knew it had to be for a very good reason.

"Oi! Mel! What the hell are you doing?" Seamus Finnigan squealed frantically.

I chuckled at Seamus's crazed face as we both approached the Gryffindor common room. Seamus stood in front of me and I laughed.

"We all know you're going around snogging Malfoy now but is this Slytherin rubbish necessary?" Seamus asked bewildered as he flicked the shoulder of my shirt.

"I'm assuming you haven't heard the big news then? I've officially been banned from the team!" I cheered sarcastically.

Seamus's jaw dropped. "You've gotta be bloody kidding me! What the hell is Harry thinkin? You're the best Chaser this house has ever seen! You can bet your ass Harry will be hearing about it from me."

I squeezed Seamus's shoulder tightly and smiled. "Thanks mate. I'm only wearing this rubbish to piss off King Potter."

"Good goin', that's brilliant Mel."

Seamus and I continued to laugh as we entered the room. I could feel the tension the moment we cleared the entryway. There was a crowd of my fellow housemates huddled around Harry, glaring at me. I suddenly felt way too exposed. They were all sickened by my shirt, it wasn't as funny as I hoped it would be.

"Wow Harry, really? I'm so damn terrifying now or untouchable that you can't talk to me on your own? You need a damn entourage?"

Harry's eyes were on the ground as his entourage stepped towards me. Ron and Hermione stood on either side of Harry, also unable to face me directly.

"You all think you're going to fight me or something? Just try. I can disarm all of you at once without even blinking." I snapped.

"Enough." Hermione shouted and the crowd quickly dispersed.

The common room was empty within moments, aside from the three of them and me.

"What are you thinking Mel? Why are you pretending like Malfoy isn't a snake? We are worried about you." Hermione pleaded.

Harry snorted and I pushed past Hermione and Ron and stood right in front of Harry. "Really Harry? This is how much our friendship means to you? I do one thing you don't approve of and you pretend as if I'm dead to you? I have stood by you through everything and this is how you treat me?"

"Why him Mel? Why Malfoy? He is a murderer! He's a Death Eater! Don't think he won't turn you over to his lot the moment he learns what you are! How could you do this to us? After what he has put us through? You've chosen sides, so why don't you take your bloody Slytherin shirt and the rest of your rubbish to where you really belong." Harry yelled.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I watched Harry. He was crushed by my relationship with Draco. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach as if I had betrayed them all. I thought Harry was overreacting but he was genuinely devastated by my relationship with Draco. How could I even tolerate Draco, knowing exactly how much it was hurting Harry? I felt cruel.

I looked down at my shirt and the tears poured from my eyes. Regardless of how I felt about Draco, my friends hated him, how could I choose him over them? They had been by my side through everything too and I so carelessly disregarded their feelings, as if they meant nothing to me. I had been so stubborn, so hurtful.