Chapter XVII (Percy)

Grover was given the task of showing the three new recruits around the ship, making sure they at least knew the basics. Beckendorf and Leo were settling in rather well, quickly warming up to Tyson and already planning what improvements they could make to the ship. Silena on the other hand was having some difficulties trying to process things. She'd stumble about with her luggage, looking around curiously and hesitantly, scrunching her nose up at the arrangements. Percy knew she wasn't being impolite, it was just a major change of scenery to what she was used to. Her fancy house and clothes and exquisite tastes were swapped for the life of a pirate. Annabeth figured this as well, and soon the General was offering Silena the captain's quarters (though the charts would have to stay). But to their surprise, the daughter of Aphrodite smiled sheepishly and shook her head, claiming if she was to get anywhere she'd have to get used to it.

Percy's headcount revealed that they were the first party to make it back to the ship. The Stolls were still missing, but nothing major had alerted them to any trouble. Will, Piper and Hazel hadn't returned either, but he was confident in thinking they could handle themselves. Besides, only a few minutes had gone by when Tyson gave a shout and pointed below at the citizens walking along the docks. Percy came over and spotted the three demigods parting from the crowd and walking up the gangplank, laughing and seemingly enjoying their time. Different sized satchels swung in their hands, and barrels of food had been rolled to the bottom of the gangplank.

"Someone else is going to have to roll those in," Piper commented when she reached earshot, "our hands are full."

"Then how did you get them here?" Percy asked.

"We had a couple of locals drop them off for us," Hazel said, and then disappeared into the hold with the others, more than likely dispensing of their day's items.

Percy tapped Tyson's shoulder for his attention. "Come on buddy. Looks like you and me have a job to do."

The barrels were heavy, but Tyson had no problem picking his up and walking it into the hold. However, Percy was inclined to roll his up the plank and across the deck, carefully edging it down the stairs. Once placed with the first, he went back up on the quarter deck and acted as spotter, waiting for the last crew members to arrive.

"Hey Percy," Leo said, bounding up the stairs to join him, "how much control do I have over the ship?"

Percy turned to look at him. "Depends on what you want to do."

"Well, there are a lot of things that could be improved. Imagine a ballista and cannons lining the side, and grappling hooks that fire automatically. Beckendorf and I can install a major defence system! I admit, the Blackjack was not built for such extremes, but if I just tweak a couple of things..."

The Captain chuckled at his enthusiasm, but Leo was right, his vessel wasn't built for that purpose at all.

"Nice gesture, but Blackjack was purely created for manoeuvring and quick getaways. Ask Beckendorf, he should know that. He did build this for me."

Leo rubbed his chin thoughtfully, spinning a wench in his other hand. "Okay, then what if-."

A loud bang reverberated around the ship, forcing Leo to stop suddenly. Percy's head whipped around, looking for the cause of commotion. If they were being attacked he'd have to get them out of there fast, whether it meant coming back for Travis and Connor at night. Fortunately it was nothing like that. A second later, he spotted Silena, Will, Piper, and Grover emerging from the hold covered in soot, coughing and waving a hand in front of their faces. Annabeth and Tyson had come from the captain's quarters, drawn out by the sound.

"What on Olympus?" Percy mumbled.

Silena looked up after wiping some of the debris off her face, shooting him an apologetic look.