Chapter XXVIII (Percy)

Percy watched on in mute horror as the scene unfolded.

He remained frozen in place as he watched his crew being herded like livestock through the thick mass of monsters and traitorous, sneering demigods. Beckendorf lead the way as Leo made up the rear, and scattered in the middle were the rest of them, bruised and battered and demoralised. Katie, Travis and Connor huddled close together. Hazel supported a seemingly barely conscious Grover. Will Solace stood just in front, giving the satyr a few worried side glances. Even Piper was present, all formalities and respect for the Queen forgotten as she was tied along with the rest of them, gagged and bloody. However, Percy noticed, there were members missing. Tyson and Silena weren't present, as well as Nico and his Roman friend.

At one point, one of his friends stopped, refusing to take another step. Upon closer inspection, Percy could make them out be none other than Beckendorf. But the monster leading them didn't tolerate such a small act of resistance, and snarled and brought out a sinister looking whip. 

Percy's eye widened.

"If that thing so much as dares to-." 

The sound of it sailing through the air and cracking against Beckendorf made Percy flinch. And even though Beckendorf didn't make a sound, Percy could discern the pain that flashed across his face.

The son of Poseidon gritted his teeth, glaring and standing up. "I'll tear its head off!" 

"Get down!" Jason whispered harshly, grabbing his arm and yanking him back onto the roof. "You can't go charging in there! It's suicidal!"

"Well you'd better come up with a better plan then!" 

Percy waited impatiently as the son of Jupiter thought, his blue eyes scanning their surroundings and the enemies down below.

"Blackjack's on call, isn't he?" Jason asked, readjusting his position to a crouch. 

"Yes."

"Good. I may have a plan. It's dangerous and might get us killed, but it's our best shot." 

Percy needn't hesitate. "I'm all ears."

**********

"Hey! Up here!" 

Percy watched Jason from a distance, the son of Jupiter visibly jumping from rooftop to rooftop and calling down to the crowd as loud as he could. Every time there seemed to be a too big of gap between him and another house, Jason would jump and seemingly float to its surface, which was an impressive sight in itself. And it certainly turned heads.

His voice carried across the town square, stirring up the people and things gathered, turning their attention away from that blonde man in the centre stage with the rather notable and intimidating facial scar. Percy noted he didn't look too pleased to be interrupted. 

Jason landed on another roof and looked down at the gathering with an expression that dared anyone to challenge him.

"Can't chase after one measly demigod! You're not much of an army!" 

That was enough to arouse them.

"Enough!" the scarred man yelled back, "surrender yourself!" 

When all Jason did was kick a falling roof tile into the crowd (successfully hitting an already confused monster), the enemy retaliated as expected.

The scarred man glared and yelled his command. "Legion 2, capture him!"

A swarm of monsters and demigods reacted quickly to the sudden order and arranged themselves, marching straight towards the house Jason was perched on. They were slowed down by navigating through the crowd, which greatly advantaged Jason, but they managed to push things out of their way quick enough to force the son of Jupiter back quicker.