I BURNED THE SCHOOL LABORATORY

"I swear, Mrs. Lopez, I didn't set the building on fire!" I tried to explain to our school dean. Well, maybe I did, but I didn't set it on purpose!

I could hear the sirens wailing as firetrucks and ambulances came to put out the fire.

I glanced at the window and saw the Student Leaders' members (they're one of the organizations in the school) aid the screaming students.

"I am so sorry Mr. Laurel, but we have to do this. We can't afford another... accident," she said the last word a little bit later, as if thinking for the appropriate word to call it. "You may now go, we'll email this accident to your parents, and so as the expulsion letter," she added and went back working on her papers.

I grabbed my bag and decided to go home.

Email the expulsion letter to my parents? Ridiculous.

Hi, my name is Jade Laurel. I am an orphan. I lived in an exclusive subdivision at SuperHeroes St. Block 6, Lot 66. Someone had been paying my bills and fees for me. Who? I do not know. I've been here since I was little. My good neighbor, Mr. and Mrs. Dodds, took care of me until I can manage on my own. I even plead them to be my display parents for school purposes.

I am one of the academically incompetent students at school. Call me delinquent, okay, but I swear I am not responsible of the fire. Or maybe, I was.

You see...

I was at the
chemical laboratory, doing some extra work for extra credit. I was on an experiment instructed by an old dusty book the person-in-charge gave me.

It was so old that you could see scribbles and vandalism from generations of students who got hold of the book.

It stated that I should boil Substance X with Substance Y for an hour. But an hour was still a long way to go! But I boiled it anyway.

I sat in front of the substance, elbows resting on the table.

I wiggled my fingers towards the substance muttering, "I wish I could speed up the boiling, or maybe raise the degree,"

I continued wiggling my fingers, staring into dead space, until a crackle of lightning erupted from my fingers and hit the apparatus.

I suddenly got up from my seat and backed away and I accidentally stepped on some live wire, and a trail of lightning crawled from my body to the main power switch of the laboratory.

I realized what was happening and hurriedly went out from the building.

There was an explosion just as I stepped my foot on the grass. The good thing was, nobody was in the building except me.

(This is the reason why authorized people should never leave amateurs by themselves)

The next thing I knew, the building was on fire, and my presence is needed at the Dean's office.

This was the first time something unusual happened to me. I convinced myself that it was only a coincidence, or that didn't really happen, or my mind was only playing a trick on me.

AN: Jade is pronounced as
/hay-dee/

Hi guys! Thank you for reading! Don't forget to comment for suggestions and reactions, vote and add if you liked it! Thank you! ;)