↠ 9 ↞

"I can't help but love you, even though I try not to. I can't help but want you, I know that I'd die without you." - Ruelle

Everyone was gathered at the wedding tent. The Blackthorns, the Lightwoods, Jace, Clary, Simon, Magnus, Luke, Hodge, Lydia Branwell, John Monteverde, important people from the Clave, basically everyone of significance to the young couple being wedded that day.

There was a light chatter of excitement. And the people were all smiles because in the middle of a war that no one saw coming, a wedding, a celebration of love, was their beacon of hope.

Alec Lightwood stood waiting by the altar while his parabatai, Jace Wayland stood behind him.

The silent brother preceding the ceremony called everyone's attention.

The wedding was about to start.

As if on cue, Isabelle Lightwood strode down the aisle holding a pillow that contained Thea's token and stele. And as she stood at the podium near her brother and Jace. Everyone's attention turned to the bride who just entered the room.

Thea Blackthorn was a vision of beauty and grace as she slowly made her way down the aisle with an expression that showed pure love and joy

Thea Blackthorn was a vision of beauty and grace as she slowly made her way down the aisle with an expression that showed pure love and joy. An expression mirrored in Alec's face.

Every person in the room was smiling at her, but her hazel eyes remained locked with the green ones at the altar.

He held out his hand to help her up the podium then she handed her bouquet to Izzy who was grinning from ear to ear.

Alec looked at her the whole time, his gaze never wavering. He remembers the first time he met her, and he realized that at that moment he was already sure that Thea was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with.

Now here they were.

They were ready.

They exchanged tokens. A band on the wrist with a symbol of what they both loved. Something they had in common.

"It's time for Alec Lightwood and Thea Blackthorn to mark each other with the wedded union rune. A rune on the hand, a rune on the heart. A union is born." The silent brother announced.

Thea grabbed her stele while Alec held out his hand. She drew the wedding rune right above the token and then the love rune on his chest above his heart. Alec grabbed his stele and did the same. Their hands slightly shaking while their hearts beats steady.

"You are now bonded for eternity as husband and wife."

Everyone stood up to clap and cheer.

"I love you." The couple mouthed to each other while they sealed their union with a kiss.

---

---

All the guests were enjoying the feast provided for in the wedding tent.

Alec and Thea were seated in front of all the guest. A little space was left in between to act as a sort of dance floor.

Izzy, Jace, and Clary then took this time to address everyone.

"I'm still not accustomed to all the traditions practiced by shadowhunters but in the mundane world, Izzy and Jace's roles would have been the maid of honor and the best man. And during wedding receptions, they would give out speeches about the newlyweds." Clary started. "Izzy and Jace said they wanted to do something similar for their beloved parabatais so here they are."

Clary took her seat while Izzy and Jace took the floor. They smiled at Alec and Thea and then smiled at all the guest.

"I remember the first time I met Thea. Our mom was training her and I thought she was so cool because she was the only one who could beat my big brother at just 3 years old." They all laughed. "But he never really complained, not even when he was a grumpy teenager."

Izzy was smiling fondly now. "I'd always see some sort of spark in Alec's eyes whenever he gazed at her. It was the kind of look only reserved for her."

"It's true." Jace affirmed. "They share the kind of love that's so rare it must have come from the angels themselves. And we're so lucky and happy that we get to witness it through you two."

"Congratulations to the both of you. You've made us so proud and overwhelmed with joy."

By the end of their short dialogue everyone was applauding, their hearts warm, their smiles wide.

Alec and Thea themselves were teary eyed as they smiled at each other. They were married. They were equals. They were one.

She was his angel, sent to him by Raziel himself. And he was her warrior, protecting her from every evil known to man.

---

"I'm so proud of you Alec." Maryse said as she went to greet the young couple who just finished their first dance.

Alec smiled broadly. All he ever wanted from his parents were for them to be proud of him. "Would you like a dance mom?"

"As long as it's okay for me to dance with your lady." Alec's father interjected.

Thea laughed and placed her hand in her father-in-law's outstretched one.

Alec and Thea ended up dancing with almost everyone. Thea with her father, father-in-law, brothers, uncle, Jace, Magnus, John, and Simon. And Alec with his mother, Isabelle, Thea's sisters, Lydia, even Clary.

But of course the celebration didn't take up the whole night. They were shadowhunters after all, and they cannot leave the mundane world unattended.

The newlyweds were set to depart for Alicante after the wedding. They would bring the mortal cup to the Accords Hall and then stay at the Blackthorn Hall in Chiswick.

"I'll go get changed and gather my things before we go." Thea said as she kissed Alec's cheek and left for a while.

Alec then saw Magnus talking to Izzy, Jace, Clary, and Simon, and went to see what's going on.

"We found the owner of the Book of the White." Clary announced.

He looked confused. "The book of the what?"

"I know right." Simon commented.

Clary sighed. "It's a book of spells that can help wake up my mom."

"Okay. Where is it?"

"Alec, you just got married. We can handle this alright?" Jace chuckled.

But he shook his head. "No, it's okay. If it's important, we have to help."

"Alec don't worry. The book's owner is Camille and she's at the Hotel Dumort. Simon, here is going to help us. Now go get Thea and get out of here. Enjoy your honeymoon." Isabelle dismissed with a wink making Jace and Magnus laugh at Alec's red cheeks.

Alec grumbled and walked away. His sister always found a way to humiliate him. But she was right, it was their wedding night. They could handle a few days without them.

He walked to a different wing in the resident's area of the institute. Since he and Thea are married now, they get to share a room, and Isabelle was gracious enough to get it ready for them. How she had managed to plan their wedding and arrange their room, especially after getting tried for treason was a mystery to him. But he wasn't about to complain.

What he saw in their room however, was a different story.

Thea laid there, unconscious above a broken coffee table.

He immediately rushed over to check her pulse, and redrew the Iratze on her arm as soon as he felt it.

"Hodge." She gasped out when she regained consciousness.

Alec shushed her, moving some of her hair away from her face. "You're going to be okay. I'm just gonna go get help alright? I'll be back." He said as he ran out the room, his heart beating wildly.