Chapter 15

Chapter 15

::Shannon::

"Shannon. Shannon!" Jay shook me out of my sleep, hard.

"What, what is it?" I rubbed my eyes groggily. 

"I heard something, we have to get out of here. I think they're on our trail."

I sat up immediately, wide awake. "What?!"

I quickly pulled on my shoes and grabbed my backpack full of my stuff while Jay gathered the tent and put it in his. He ran a hand through his hair and looked at the car.

"What is it?" I asked, watching him.

"We're gonna have to leave the car behind, they definitely know the car and the registration number, that's probably how they tracked us down. Shit. I can't believe this." Jay started speed-walking and I followed him.

Suddenly there was a sound of gun-shot and Jay ducked, pulling me with down with him.

He cursed. "They're closer than I thought they would be." he looked at me. "Can you run?"

"Well, I don't have the best stamina ever-"

"Great, because we have run."

I blinked at him and flinched when there was another gun-shot. I have no idea how I'll be able to keep up with Jay's speed. He's obviously more fit than I am, way faster.

"Ok, on three we jump up and run like hell. Got it?" Jay peeked out from under the bush we were hiding behind.

"Um, well, okay." Oh shit.

"Ok, one-" Jay started counting.

I jumped up, screamed, and ran. I heard Jay curse behind me but didn't dare look back. I ran, my back pack on my shoulder, nearly falling off. Jay catched up way faster than I thought he would. He sent me daggers as we were running and I could feel my sides starting to hurt. I winced but kept running. I heard shouts from behind us and prayed silently in my head that they wouldn't be fast enough to catch up with us.

Jay pulled out a gun from his back pocket and turned around, running backwards, while shooting. He ducked as they shot at him and I screamed again when a bullet flew past, inches away from arm.

I was starting to run out of breath and was barely able to jog. Jay probably realised that because he grabbed my arm and pulled me on.

Who the hell can run so fast for this long and not get exhausted?!

"I-I can't..can't run-" I breathed heavily and stopped running, clutching my sides. Jay grabbed me by the waist and with one strong,swift movement, he lifted me up and slung me over his shoulder like I was a potato sack.

He started running while I held on to his shoulders and neck for dear life.

Jay shot a couple more times and then put the gun back in his pocket.

"Ran out of ammo." he muttered before I could ask. I looked around. All I could see were trees and bushes, and ditches everywhere. And then I saw it, a small path, and the only a few trees lined the sides of the path. It was lit up by the rays of the sun.

"There!" I pointed to it. "That may be a way out!"

Jay started gaining speed, puffing and huffing towards the path. We finally came to the forest's edge, to a clear field. Jay put me down, leaned against a tree trunk and took a huge gulp of water. Then we started running across the field and the big, wired fence became clearer as we neared the edge of the road. 

The fence was the only way we could get onto the road.

Jay threw our backpacks over to the other side and inhaled deeply.

"Here, I'll give you a boost." he said, and I starting climbing the fence. I felt him put his hands on my ass and pushed me from behind. I shot him a cold glare. "Hey!" I exclaimed.

He cocked an eyebrow and I jumped down from the fence, onto the other side of the road. Jay climbed it in a few seconds and landed beside me. He slung his back pack over his shoulder and I did the same with mine. He looked behind us, at the forest in the distance.

"We lost them?" I asked, still out of breath.

Jay nodded briefly and then frowned at me. "You seriously can't run."

I blushed and rolled my eyes.

"And you can't count either."

"Yes I can!" I defended myself.

"No, you can't. You jumped up at 'one'" Jay crossed his arms.

"I was nervous!" I protested.

"Sure." Jay started walking and didn't even look left or right to check for any cars.

"It's dangerous, you know." I looked to the sides before I hurried after Jay.

"What's dangerous?"

"Crossing the road before looking to the left or the right."

Jay snorted. "Do you see any cars here?"

"Well, no, but-"

"But what?" Jay stopped walking. "To our left, ladies and gentlemen, we have a huge, f*cking dense forest with people chasing us. To our right we have another forest. We are currently standing in the middle of a freakin' deserted road that stretches for miles and miles. Oh and I'm stuck with the world's most annoying dope-head ever."

I gaped at him. "What?" I felt a pang of hurt but pushed it aside. "I'm involved in this big mess because of you!" I poked Jay's chest, hard. He snatched my wrist and threw it to the side. Not gently either.

Then he started walking again, in big long strides. I knew he was doing it to annoy me.

"I'm not annoying, by the way! I'm a very funny person," I shouted at his back and heard him snort.

I pursed my lips and decided to show him.

"Don't believe me? Fine! Two peanuts were walking down an alley. One was assaulted." After a minute of silence I decided to explain, just in case he didn't get the pun. "You know, like a peanut cause peanuts are a-SALTED. Get it?"

Jay turned around and gave me a bored, plain look.

I sagged. "Ok, so it's not my best one.."

He sighed and turned back around, continued walking.

I stuck my tongue out at his back and gave him the middle finger before I tagged after him.