The Expired Mother

Author's note: One shot inspired by MikaelaBender and her story, Expiration Date and Expired. She asked fans to write a cute little story about the characters as moms for Mother's Day. Enjoy!
-------------

"Jonas! Hurry down here!" I was laying on the floor in the bathroom as my water had just broke.

Just great.

I heard his loud footsteps, and he finally made it to me, picking me up and my hospital bag, as we headed towards the silver SUV.

"Sorry about that, Iris, but she'll be here sooner or later, and I'll protect her."

The doctors had said I could die giving birth, but anything was possible when you're expired in a world controlled by the death telling Amoris.

The pain got worse as Jonas drove to the private hospital, and I almost passed out a few times because of this impatient baby.

"Hold on, love, we're almost there. Don't give up, because you're the only thing holding me together, especially after the Erik issue."

Oh yeah, the Erik issue, where he broke Colton's heart after running off with Vienna to Africa or some other foreign place because of what I said to him after Arrietty died that night. They apparently got married, had some kids, then Vienna "died naturally" one night.
----------

"Here, love, put on this gown real quickly. The baby is impatient."

Jonas slipped the thin gown onto me, while I gave him deadly looks because of the obvious statement about our baby. He then helped me get into the bed, which after the doctor checked my "area" to see if she was ready to come out finally after nine months.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, but you'll have to go under, since this could possibly kill you without C-section."

Ready to have my belly ripped open! Yay!

"Alright, just be careful, she's important to me."

We were thinking of a few names for her, like Hope or Faith, but those were too well known, and apparently not good enough for the Society.

The nurse put this mask on my face, instructing me to breathe it in slowly, while Jonas squeezed my left hand, rubbing the wedding ring around my finger.

I'm going to freaking die while my belly is cut open, of course, stupid Amoris.
----------------

"Mom, dad!" I saw my parents, who were both in white, as I ran towards them.

"Iris, you need to go back. Your daughter and husband need you," my mom said as dad patted my back.

"But, I really missed you, I want to stay, plus Arrietty and Vienna plus my orphan parents are here."

"Honey, one day, you'll be here with us, but until then, your new family needs you more than you need us right now. I promise we'll reunite one day." Dad and mom said together as the fog slowly ate up everyone I loved who was dead.

I then heard a cry, but it was a weird, high pitched cry.
-------------

"Iris! Iris, wake up!" Jonas was yelling, as I felt something hit my chest again and again.

"Jo... Jonas.... I'm here," I barely whispered, as the object hitting my chest stopped, and Jonas began to cry, with some new cry.

My baby.

Jonas handed me the little bundle of joy, and she instantly stopped crying as she laid her head against my chest sleepily.

"She's beautiful, she even has your nose, Jonas."

I kissed her on top of her head, and was glad I didn't expire on one of the greatest days of my life.
---------------

"Mommy! Mommy! Happy Mother's Day!" I was quickly awoken by my three year old daughter, Adira, jumped onto our bed, and trying to shake me awake.

"Honey, shh, mommy is super tired from last night because of your little brother."

"Sorry mommy, I was just too excited about today!"

"It's okay, the reason I'm tired is because you're brother, Luke, kept me up all night," she then hugged me, and we both went back to sleep.
-----------
Flashback:

"Luke! Do you have to be screaming at three in the morning!" Yeah, yeah, yelling at a two month old is so motherly.

"Love, go back to sleep, I'll handle Luke. You need the break."

Ever since the war with the rebels and Amoris, Jonas had a law passed that the Society could raise their own children without a nanny. Really wish that didn't happen right now.

"Jonas, no, you have an important meeting about the borders in a few hours. I'm used to it anyways."

We then started yelling at each other, which of course woke up Adira. She was the devil himself if she was awake too early in the morning.

What basically happened is that I slapped Jonas, forced Adira to give up her playtime for a week with her Aunt Gwen, and was somehow able to put the restless Luke back to sleep.
----------------
"Hey, love, I have a surprise for you in the maze. Come on."

I shook my head no at Jonas, and rolled over to the other end of the bed, since Luke's sleeplessness affected me too.

"It's a good surprise. I'll even carry you."

Jonas grabbed me out of bed, slipped a dress onto me, and put my hair into a simple bun with simple makeup.
He helped me put on some flats, and carried me to the maze, forgetting my cares.

"Here we are, love, happy Mother's Day!"

I opened my eyes to see Erik with his kids, and Colton somehow not choking Erik or me.

"Hey, guys. Why are you all here?"

"Hi aunt Iris! We're moving back to the United States of the Society!"

Not only did I get the surprise of having my three nieces and two nephews back, but also was able to have a completed family, so I cried while Adira hugged me and Luke nuzzled his chubby head into my neck.

I'm proud to be a mother for restless, cute Luke and the giddy and overly excited Adira, with the best husband in the world.