SIX

Chapter six:
• "I'll take that as a yes" •
_______________________

Avon's POV:

"I believe in you, Ave." Finnick mouths to me.

I smile, lightly back at him and then feel a small bit of pressure on my arms. Two peace keepers are escorting me off stage.

"Hey!" I yell at them. "Loosen the grip will you?"

They pick me up and take me off of the stage to the opposite die that Finnick is on.

"Put me down." I yell at them.

They come to a halt, and I feel my feet hit the floor.

"Great!" I groan, sarcasm drilling from my words. "I can already see the bruises."

The two peace keepers walk away as I touch my arms. Their grip was really tight. It's like they were hanging onto me for their life.

"You." Says a girl coming up to me.

"I like you."

The girl takes a sip of her drink. She has short black hair with what looks like streaks all through her locks. Her eyes are fierce and she looks like she can kill anyone with nothing but her pinky finger.

"You're feisty, which comes to a surprise to me. But, you do have Haymitch Abernathy as your mentor. I expected nothing less." Her eyes scan me.

"Who are you?" I ask.

"Johanna Mason.  Victor of the Seventy First Hunger Games." She smirks to me.

"Oh yeah! I remember you now. You're the girl who is good with an axe, right?"

"You know your stuff. I like you even more. I noticed you sort of started a little commotion with the audience. I respect that."

"Johanna," says Haymitch coming up behind her. "What are you doing with my tribute?"

"For your information, dumbass, I was actually having a conversation with her."

"Well, you can talk to her at the after party. Right now I need to get her "I believe in you" ass to the party before Effie takes off her sky scraper heels and chucks them at my beautiful face." He rolls his eyes at her.

Haymitch takes my hand and pushes past Johanna.

"I'll talk to you later?" I ask.

She just smirks back.

"I'll take that as a yes."

The usually drunk leads me from out of the back stage and into a room filled with tributes. Most are looking at me.

"Haymitch," I whisper to him. "Why are we all here?"

He shrugs and walks off, leaving me alone with the other tributes.

"District five, huh? I've heard they got some real good wealth." Says a boy coming up to me. I believe his name is Max Wilton. He's from district three.