Chapter Twenty-One

Twenty-One

Feeling a shiver run up my spine, I was woken up to the sounds of whispers. Cover was knocked out, still leaning against a tree with a steady heaving chest. Bringing my hands to my eyes, I could hear the sound of a fire crackle as I began to wake myself up more and more. Removing my hands from my eyes, I saw the frozen figures of Sail and Kemint. Their backs hunched over and their faces absorbing the warmth of the fire — I was beginning to wonder what they had been speaking of. Raising an eyebrow, I slowly brought myself to my knees and silently made my way over to the dimly lit fire. Either both Kemint and Sail were suffering from insomnia or they were practically owls.

Letting my knees crack, I brought the attention to my loud figure. Crawling forward with painful knees, I collapsed against Sail's leg, exhausted with sharp pain. Shifting a little, I could feel it sharpen my senses, sending the pain straight through the marrow of my bone. Clutching the grass tightly and gripping Sail's thin fabric of his pants, I kept my drenched forehead pressed against the ground. Trying to inhale deeply, I tried to calm my insanity. Trying to dull the pain. But that was utter bullshit.

Feeling a palm gently press against my back, I could feel the soft and slow motion of the hand soothe me. Being caressed by two hands suddenly, I looked over at Kemint who had that awkward color sensation feeling in his cheeks. Looking away, I watched as Sail let a faint smile fix on his face as I started to squirm in discomfort. Not being the only one in discomfort, Cover was suddenly gasping for air as I jumped to my knees terrified and startled. Watching as Cover neared me with a straight face, I could feel the fear rise from the pit of my stomach, nearly shrieking, I leaned backwards to avoid his touch. The instability shook my mind as Cover lunged forward, ready to tear me apart. Quickly pulling a knife from my belt, my palm shook as I tried my best to plunge it forward...but a certain force was restraining my limbs to do so.

Frozen. Incapable. Helpless.

I was practically formed into a shrieking, bubbly girl who wasted time on shoes and knowledge on dress sizes and colors. Wasting their food to keep their weight unhealthily skinny and their mornings prepping their hair in loose curls with crazy assortments of hair accessories. I was becoming less and less capable of surviving on my own.

Trying to move, I could smell smoke. The fire singeing my hair quickly, I jerked back, slamming my head against Cover's chest. Feeling Sail's hands gently calm my heart, I let relief escape my lips. Cover's shirt was warming my face as he sat on his calves, tearing pieces of unknown meat from a thick, long stick. Wanting to eat myself, I pulled myself from Cover, letting Sail's hand jerk from my back and handed me a piece of god-knows-what on a stick. Examining the stick with a look of disgust, I could hear the sputter of laughter attempting to suppress their giggle. Shoot a glare at Kemint, I watched as Sail shook his head in disgrace.

"What? You feed on fancier birds?" Kemint joked and took another bite of a bird's wing. Not having a strand of patience, I curled my fingers into fists and sent them shoot straight towards Kemint's arm. Letting the impact shatter his bones. Spitting a piece of meat from his mouth, I pulled a knife from my belt and wedged the blade deeply into his rib cage.

"That was a slip up!" I growled and yanked the blade from his cage of bones. Imagining his bones beginning to cave in on his organs, I watched as the blood dripped from the blade and splash deafeningly against the grass. My shoulder being yanked backwards, I felt Sail's hands pull the handle from my fingers. Feeling anger rise within me, I spun around, letting my leg fly up in the air. Watching a tight grasp wrap around my calf, I could feel the long, beautifully, professionally painted red nails dig into my flesh. Feeling no pain, I raised my leg higher and shook the long nails from my calf. The glimpse of blonde hair coming into view, Nitera landed roughly against another looming figure. Hearing the high pitched squeaks peel the flesh from my ears and trigger blood to run from within, I knew without a doubt that I would not be able to restrain myself any longer from killing these girls. "Shut your pretty little faces before I mess them up! Because I am not going to be holding back any strength when I stab you and feed your organs to the fire."