Outside the wall

Eren's Pov:

"Come on Mikasa!" I shouted behind me as I passed her and Armin on my horse. I laughed as I heard Armin shout in protest as I passed him, getting ahead of us, Mikasa to my right, Armin to my left.

"Like you could ever beat me Eren!" Mikasa shouted back as she sped up. Passing me with such graceful speed it was unreal.

"Come on then Armin!" I shouted, as Armin started to trail behind abit, his horse obviously getting tired.

We had been out here for hours, just messing about and not doing anything but have fun, just as Capitan Levi ordered us to.

"Hey Mikasa, let's stop for a bit, Armin's horse is getting too tired to carry on much longer without a rest." I yelled to her, and she turned her head towards me and nodded in agreement, steering her horse towards a patch of shady trees.

Mikasa stopped, first, followed by me and then Armin, his horse panting heavily. "I think we wore him out." Armin said worriedly, patting the horse gently as it drank from the pool, side by side with the other two horses.

"Maybe," Mikasa agreed, nodding in agreement at Armin. "I don't think we should have gone as fast, we may have worn them out for the rest of the day." She said, looking over the three horses, who were still drinking water.

"Maybe, we'll let them rest a few hours and see how they are then yeah?" I suggested, sitting down by the pond and leaning back, letting my back rub against the soft green grass.

"I'm good with that." Armin said, lying down on his stomach facing me, his head resting on his folded arms, letting him look as if he was trying to sleep, only without the actual sleeping part.

Mikasa smiled, coming and sitting against a tree a few feet away from where me and Armin were on the ground.

We sat talking for ages. Just talking about stuff when were little, how Armin had always wanted to see the oceans, just like in his book.

How Mikasa had wanted to be able to defend herself properly since she was little, without fail.

And how I had always wanted to join the Survey Corps, ever since I was little, wanting to go outside the gates and fight back against the Titans.

Two of our dreams had come true, all except Armin's...

'We'll get him to see the oceans one day. I promise.' I promised myself, looking at Armin.

*CRASH*

A sudden crash in the forest nearby made us all jump in fright, causing the horses to start panicking as well. "Get the horses!" Mikasa shouted, lunging for her horse to the right of her, and catching hold of the reigns.

Mine and Armin's horses were close by each other, and I was the closest to the, so I quickly leapt forward and grabbed the reigns of both of them.

"Here." I said, giving Armin his horses reigns as he reached where I was stood with them, trying desperately to keep them from running.

I turned and quickly mounted my horse, Armin doing the same, seeming to find it easier to control his horse whilst he was mounted.

I turned my horse around to where the noise had come from, looking for something that could have caused it.

"What do you think? Titan?" I called to Mikasa who had calmed her horse down to a halt and was gazing at the forest.

"I think so, but it must have been big, nothing small could have caused that noise. It sounded like a tree was ripped from the earth." She told me, looking slightly puzzled.

*SQUARK SQUARK SQUARK*

A large group of birds suddenly erupted from the forest, moving fast as if they were fleeing from something big.

Something more than just your average Titan.

"No.." Mikasa breathed, as she must have just had the same thought as me race through my mind, just as it burst out of the trees.

It was the Female Titan.

It was Annie.