A Zombie on a Pegasus

It had been a month and Percy, Annabeth and Piper still haven't returned from their quest. Chiron assembled what we had of an army with the daughter of Ares, Clarisse as a captain. I was armed with my sword from Artemis and a bow, A quiver full of arrows hung on my back and Greek armor was plated on me. The small group of warriors which consisted of some Apollo, Ares, Demeter and Hephaestus campers were marching out when Blackjack, Percy's pegasus, flew on top of Camp Half-blood hill with Alyssa, on his back.

I felt like I was going to faint. How did she get free? Leo and I went up to him and slid her unconscious body off of the winged-animal's back. The sight of her made me feel sick. She looked like a pale zombie; her clothes worn out, a bad stench coming from her, her hair black from dirt and dust, her skin almost white and filled with cuts, bruises and burns, almost dark, purple circles around her eyes and almost every bone in her body could be counted from starvation. All the half-bloods present were whispering among themselves with awe as I carried her limp figure to the infirmary.

Some of Alyssa's half-sisters bathed her and changed her into clean clothes. I was talking with Jason when Mitchell told me it was okay for us to come in. Alyssa looked and smelt much better but she still was in poor condition. Her hair was back to light brown and the dirt and dust was gone. There was a streak of grey in her hair that told everyone how much stress she had been in.

Mitchell and I took shifts on watching her, though she just lay there, unmoving and asleep. Everyday, her wounds were bathed in nectar and she was fed ambrosia. Her skin started to change back to her tan but she never woke up, as if she was cursed by a spell.

**************************************************************************

During one of my shifts, I was playing my guitar then abruptly, Alyssa grabbed my sword from the scabbard that hung at my side and started swinging and screaming. She knocked furniture over and almost killed me and her eyes were closed the whole time. Absent-mindedly, I smacked her in the back of the head with the guitar. Leo was just walking when when I had hit her.

"What!? Why did you do that?"

"She...she went insane!" I yelled, still not calmed down from my panic.

"Yeah she did, it looks like a bull rampaged around here."

"Ha, ha, very funny."

Leo helped me lay her back on her cot...

*******************************************************************

A week followed and she did nothing else. Chiron visited from time to time then one day, he called me to the infirmary. I came in and felt bad news creeping around.

"Stewart, I hate to be the one to tell you but Alyssa has slipped into a coma."

I thought the world froze around me, not many people wake up from commas, Alyssa might, well die, "Thanks Chiron, can you leave us?"

Chiron nodded and walked out. I skooted the chair closer to the cot and I held her hand and leaned my head into it; tears began running down her arms. Never, ever, have I expected myself to cry but I did. This lasted for some time and then I heard someone enter the infirmary. I wiped my eyes dry and swallowed though I knew I couldn't hide the fact I had been a sissy. I found myself facing a seventeen year old with gold hair and crystal blue eyes. To me, he looked like a Californian with his tan skin and sunglasses, but I knew who he was; he was Apollo.

"You're ugly," he stated.

How many weird things can people say in a day?

"Just kidding, you're handsome just like all my other children. Now who's this daughter of Aphrodite I've heard so much about?"

"What business do you have with her?" I asked, stepping in his way.

"I know how to make her better; now, are you going to let me by or not?"

I stepped aside though stayed next to him as he checked her out. Then he placed his hand on her forehead. After holding it there, he removed it and turned to face me with a smile on his face.

"She should be up and about by next week."

"What did you do?"

"I made the thoughts of her torture not overbearing to think about. You see, that one time when she went 'mad' as you called it she still thought she was in the cell with the snake, even when she fell into a comma. I simply reminded her she's in safe hands at the camp."

I glanced at Alyssa and her face seemed more relaxed, "thanks."

"Anything for my boy, and that sword you carry, it has more power than you think."

"She told me she's glad I'm like her."

"Yeah, little sis always complains how my kids act too much like me and I see no problem in it, but now she has a favorite."

Apollo made a peace sign and walked out of the infirmary.