Feeling Utterly Useless

I stood in the Big House with Percy, Annabeth, Piper, Leo and the new boy Jason, a son of Jupiter, telling Chiron everything that had happened. He didn't seem to bother much about the fact that we left without a third companion but the fact that the Oracle's words are meaning something terrible, made him think.

"Looks as if we have to prepare an army," he muttered, more to himself.

"But shouldn't we send some scouts ahead to find the safest routes?" Jason asked.

"Right, I'll go," I said.

"No Stewart, she now knows who you are and we don't want to risk other half-blood's lives over you needing to save your friend," Chiron told me.

"But I know more about Eris' plans then anybody else at camp,"

"Thank you for volunteering to advise Percy and the companions he chooses about the current status of the quest."

I forced myself into a fuming silence.

Percy chose Annabeth and Piper for the quest; Leo and Jason listened to me tell of how to get to Mount Rushmore and more info about the border that prevented the gods from entering.

"If ya'll could rescue Alyssa while you're out there...that would be great," I felt guilty saying this but I was concerned what that evil witch was doing to her.

Piper squeezed my hand, "we will do what we can."

"Alright, have your things ready by noon," Annabeth said and the meeting was dismissed.

Percy caught me outside the door, "I've been where you are."

"What do you mean?"

"Come with me to my cabin and I'll tell you."

**************************************************************

My muscles ached from sleeping on the ground and when I sat up, the snake's head was right at my face. I jumped back, straining against the chains, which were rubbing my wrist and ankles raw. The creature was asleep, but it's thoughts flooded into my mind.

I was in the prison cell with the creature just as normal (as far as normal goes being trapped by a crazy witch goddess), then it suddenly lashed out at me, sinking its fangs into my stomach. Blood poured from the wound onto the floor and as I lay there, the snake widened its jaw, and started to push my dying figure into its mouth.

I was living the dream of the snake; the fire from the bite knocked me to the ground. I curled up in a ball and I had no choice but to survive the horrifying dreams the snake produced.

********************************************************************

I sat on one of the bunks on the Poseidon cabin while Percy told me the story when Annabeth was captured by the Titan lord, Atlas.

"I felt the same way you are feeling now, like I failed her. And I even ran away and joined the quest to track down Artemis only with the thought of rescuing her. Then I met Aphrodite, which wasn't a pleasant talk; all she does is mess with love lives. I followed my heart not my conscience and got into serious trouble."

"But in the end you came back with Annabeth and all was fine."

Percy shrugged "I guess you can say that, but don't do something stupid like what I did. It will only make things worse."

I nodded, though I didn't like the idea of it.

Will met me where I was helping Chiron teach archery lessons. He asked if I could sing for another karaoke night but that only reminded me of when Alyssa first drug me up there, when I had finally stepped out of my comfort zone. I shook my head and walked off to the cabin, where I plopped down on my bunk and fingered Heartbreaker, which had Alyssa's shark tooth attached to it. I felt utterly useless.