The First Face

Nick walked down the marble stairs in his purple silk robe and reached the doors to the dining hall. Even without opening the doors, he could smell the fragrances of a mouth-watering breakfast. As he opened the doors, he expected a large, dull room with a chandelier and an expansive table. However, what he saw was breathtaking. From the door, the dining hall expanded into a large botanic garden. Nick walked slowly into the room, following a clear stone tile path towards the centre, and was enveloped into a multitude of smells and colours. Everywhere Nick looked, he saw a different colour and as he neared the large, rectangular table, the delectable smells of his breakfast mingled with the aromatic fragrances from the nearby flora.

"Ah, master Kariyasan, breakfast has already been served for you." A boy in a black suit trimming the flowers said, bowing.

"Thank you Keme and um, could you not call me 'master' it's alright to call me by my first name." Nick quickly said.

"Then I shall, my apologies." Keme said with a bow.

Nick pulled up a chair and sat at the large table. In front of him was a stack of fluffy, light-brown pancakes on a beautiful plate with intricate patterns on the rim. On top of the pancakes was an exquisite circle of swirled whipped cream, separated now and then by small blueberries and strawberries. The centre of the circle was, what Nick could only think of calling it, a perfect miniature sun. The vanilla ice cream shone through the golden maple syrup that dripped over it and shined when the real sun shone on it.

Nick gulped with greed and picked up the silverware next to the plate. As Nick cut the first pancake, it split to reveal a smooth stream of chocolate dripping down like sap. Nick looked at the piece he cut off and notices that the pancake was filled with melted chocolate. Nick popped the piece into his mouth and bit down. The soft exterior of the pancake pushed the chocolate out to fill his mouth like water gushing into a tank.

After popping the last strawberry in his mouth and washing it all down with his cup of milk, Nick just sat in his chair. He closed his eyes and let his mind wonder. Opening his stiff eyes, he realised he had nodded off and was about midday now. He sat up and stretched his body. On the other side of the table, Keme was sitting with his legs crossed and a small book in his hands.

"Good afternoon Nick." Said Keme without looking up from his book.

"Oh, Keme. I didn't see you there," Nick mumbled with a yawn, "...whatcha' reading?"

"Words." Keme replied without looking up.

"Yeah I know, but what book are you reading?"

"A small book."

"Yeah, but like, what's the book about?"

Keme finally looked up from his book and stared right into Nick's eyes.

"What do you think I'm reading?" he said, closing the book.

"Uh, a story?" Nick slowly stated.

"You sure about that?" Keme questioned putting the book on the table.

"Okay...uh, notes?" Nick said, thinking slightly more than before.

"But I thought that you thought it was a story?" Keme said with a sly smile.

"Yeah, but you said..." Nick started, but trailed off.

Keme give a little laugh. "Whatever I'm reading in this book is up to you, as long as you don't know what it is. Don't you think that's more entertaining?"

"That's an interesting idea." Nick replied.

"No, no. Not an idea," Keme gently intoned, waving a finger at Nick, "But a perspective."