Back Together

"I dunno' if I can do this, Rarity." Applejack whispered, her voice shaking. The farmpony had planted her hooves firmly on the ground, completely intent on not moving. The unicorn gave an exaggerated sigh and stepped behind Applejack.

"You have to, darling." Rarity said and pushed. Normally Applejack would have been an immobile brick wall to the fashionista, but Applejack was far from her normal self. The earth pony gritted her teeth as the familiar wooden house loomed closer. Applejack tried to push against Rarity, but it was of no use. Rarity was simply stronger.

"But...but..." Applejack pleaded. The large four-story house seemed much bigger than it had been the first time she was here. She knew it was just her imagination, but Applejack couldn't shake the feeling that the house was judging her. It seemed to observe her with a cold disgust, as if she was no longer welcome. She felt inclined to agree with it.

"We both agreed to do this, Applejack." Rarity hissed at the farmer, "I cannot do this without you." Applejack looked back at the unicorn and the fire in her eye. Applejack nodded slowly and Rarity stopped pushing.

"But being here Rarity...I...I can't do it!" Applejack swiftly spun on her hoof and made to dash away. Her flight to safety was stalled by Rarity simply using her magic to grip Applejack's tail and hold her immobile. Deciding there was no point arguing anymore, Rarity simply dragged the still galloping earth pony to the front door. The unicorn plopped the apple farmer hard on the wood deck and knocked softly on the door. Applejack sighed, resigned to her fate. The door opened slowly and a bright-blue eyed filly stared up in wonder.

"Oh hello dear, may we come in?" Rarity asked sweetly.

"...Not supposed to talk to strangers..." the filly mumbled meekly and began to close to the door. Rarity held out a hoof and laughed in good nature.

"We are not strangers, my dear." She said calmly, "Why if I recall, last month I painted your hooves...what was it, cherry red?" It took a few moments for the words to register with the filly, and then in an instant her caution was replaced with excitement.

"Miss Rarity!" She screamed at the top of her lungs and lunged at the unicorn. She hugged her leg tightly, and Rarity smiled down at her. She had missed this place more than she would had ever imagined. The two mares stepped into the house and took a careful look around, Applejack visibly shaking in her hooves.

"Miss Susan!" The filly yelled, "Miss Susan, guests!" The filly finally let go over Rarity but began to bombard her with hundreds, if not thousands of questions. A few more fillies and colts appeared at the top of the stairs to look down, curiosity obvious on their young faces. The older face of Susan Evergreen peaked from around a corner, a cooking apron hanging over her neck.

"Oh Miss Rarity, what a pleasant surprise." She said sweetly, then her eyes met Applejack's. The two stared at each other for a long moment, Applejack feeling smaller and smaller by the second. "And hello to you too, Applejack."

"Howdy ma'am." Applejack said and tipped her hat. Her nerves were on fire and she gulped hard.

"Why don't you two help me in the kitchen?" Susan said, "I'm baking cookies and could always use a few extra hooves."

"That sounds lovely." Rarity said and turned to her crowd of adoring fillies, "Be little dears and go and play. I'll come by shortly with fresh cookies and we can discuss anything you want." The fillies all cheered and took off in separate directions.

"Applebloom?" A slightly broken voice called out suddenly. The two mares turned to see Oliver pounding down the steps. He looked around hopefully, a smile on his face. "Is Applebloom here?" Rarity gave Applejack an amused look and nodded towards the colt.