Chapter 16

Saturday I woke up alone once more. There was a message from Larry that he would be downstairs waiting to take me to my mother's. I got ready, feeling a little nervous about how I would convince my mother Scott and I were madly in love with each other. I greeted Larry, and slipped into the car. We hit the highway but I noticed Larry wasn't heading toward her house.

"Larry. I think you are going the wrong direction." I said after lowering the partition.

"Yes m'am. We will be on our way shortly."

I frowned but said nothing, lifting it up again and sitting back. We pulled up outside Dainway industries, and my breath caught a little realizing then that Scott was coming with me.

He came out not a second after looking like a model, donned in designer jeans, sneakers, crisp white shirt and shades. Paparazzi swormed in but he was already opening the door as they snapped away and got in, kissing me lightly on the lips.

"Hey."

"Hi." I squeaked.

"How are you feeling? Did you take your meds?" he asked pulling out his i-pad.

"I'm fine." I said curtly. My emotions were on high alert. I was angry that we had slept together and then he had left me. He hadn't even called and he didn't seem the least bit apologetic. I was feeling a little annoyed that I couldn't ask him where he had been. Clearly we weren't going to talk about last night.

He handed me his ipad which distracted me from my thoughts. On the front was an apology and retraction about the news story they had printed about me. In it was a picture of the receipt from our table with it highlighted "2 virgin cocktails" and the bartender and waiters statements on how I had not consumed any alcohol and I was a regular.

I looked up a Scott who was already engrossed with reading business reports on his phone. It read Linda all over it. At least now I knew what she meant when she said she would take care of it.

My phone buzzed and Sean's name read across the screen. I was happy to hear from him. Although I didn't know if he was aware of how I was suddenly engaged to someone else.

"Hi sweetheart. How are you?" His voice came loudly on the earpiece. Scott's brow rose but he didn't take his gaze off his screen.

"Fancy hearing from you. I'm fine. How are you?" I said nervously.

"I'm great. Sorry I went quiet on you. Went off-grid hiking these past couple of weeks. Only returned to civilization last night."

If he was off-grid, it meant he had probably not heard or seen the tabloids. In any case who knew if that news reached his part of the World.

"How was it?" I wanted to be polite. And annoy Scott who seemed to shift in his seat with his figure paused above his screen.

"It was breathtaking, wild, and exhilarating. I can't wait to see you and tell you all about it. I will be in town next weekend."

I started to panic. Sean seemed to be returning with a bit more gusto about seeing me and I didn't know how I could break the news. Especially with Scott sitting across from me. I chose the coward's route and played dumb.

"Next weekend? I have ...erh..plans but I'm sure we can meet for coffee."

Plans to attend my own engagement party.

I heard Sean chuckle, "No way..don't drink that stuff. I will take you on our second date. I will be around until early in the week so we can have dinner after the weekend. Ok?"