Chapter 5: Cameron

Today I decided to attempt to ride my griffin, Hermes. Hermes is full grown now (well, he better be after 3 years!) and he is a pretty decent flyer on his own. So, naturally, as his mama, I need to make sure he is challenged at all times.
I had designed a saddle for him and I finally got it to fit him! (You would not believe how hard it is to measure a griffin, seriously.) Anyway, I decided today that I would test this saddle in action.
I pulled a large rabbit out of my bag and held it in front of Hermes' face. (I wanted to get him excited so he would fly better.) His pale blue eyes never left their target.
"You better take it Herm, otherwise he'll probably snatch it away." Ivy commented. I absolutely hated it when she called him that. She also calls him griffy, Hermster, and Herm.
I pointed out that Hermes has a better name (which was a mistake) and Ivy went on and on about how she and Fern should have helped name him because they saved my life. HAHAHAHAHA no. We continued arguing until Fern broke us up.
"Guys! We don't have all day! Sort out your problems later!" She scolded. I swear, without Fern, Ivy and I would kill each other.
Hermes shifted uncomfortably as I tightened the straps. His beautiful white fur glistened in the afternoon sunlight. (Hermes is albino, so his entire body is snow-white) I shot a glance at my audience that consisted only of Ivy and Fern. Ivy kept muttering to herself that this was never gonna work and Fern seemed interested in saving my life. They are very supportive. I, on the other hand, thought that this was a great idea. Besides, if you think about it, if you have a griffin you really should ride it.
I swung my leg over Hermes' back and hoisted myself up. There was no reaction from my audience or my pet. I got comfortable in the saddle and waited for Hermes to do something. (I guess I didn't think I would get this far right away) I was just about ready to give him a slight kick to the side when he bolted. I clung desperately to his neck as Ivy and Fern became ant-sized. (Well, mostly Fern, Ivy's short anyway) I was slipping from the saddle. I could hear myself yelling a few "choice words" as Hermes continued to rise into the clouds. Suddenly, I lost my grip. I plummeted towards the earth at a surprising speed and I became aware of the fact that I could no longer see Ivy or Fern. The wind screamed in my ears and my arms swung frantically around me, trying to grasp something. Anything.
My body jolted as my descent came to an abrupt stop. I looked up to see Fern holding me tightly by the collar of my shirt. I was happy to see her, don't get me wrong, but for some odd reason I was more worried about breathing. I managed to tell her to adjust her grip but only after she called me a baby.
"Well that didn't work." Fern never failed to point out the obvious.
"Ya don't say?" I rolled my eyes.
"Ivy's gonna be ma-ad." She sang.
"Great, I love getting yelled at." I grumbled in response, although I doubt she heard me.
Even from above, I could easily see Ivy's short figure with her arms crossed and one leg set farther from the other, tapping her foot. I could even feel her glaring at me.
Fern set me down a little hard and I stumbled. Ivy didn't hesitate, she marched up to me and started screaming and kicking and punching me. I shrank back until I felt a tree behind me. Normally, I would have stood up for myself and returned the blows but this is Ivy. When Ivy's mad, she's on the verge of starting World War III. Aaaand you could say I was the tiniest bit afraid of her.
Ivy paused to catch her breath and Fern seized the opportunity to separate us.
"Okay, Ivy he knows it was a bad idea-" she began but I interrupted her.
"It was not a stupid idea!" I would not give in to this one. I was mad that riding Hermes hadn't worked out and that he flew off. I even had a special whistle to call him back but even that hadn't worked. I tried multiple times when Fern flew around looking for him. No luck.
"Maybe he went back to your house." Fern suggested. I grimaced. Hermes wasn't known for his good landings.
"As long as he doesn't land on it, otherwise that would be a nightmare."
"Speaking of houses, I've got to get home. Don't we have that huge Folklore project due tomorrow?" Ivy glanced at Fern who turned pale.
"F-folklore project??"
"Yea, it was assigned about a week ago..." I zoned out and wondered where my griffin could be.
"What. Project." Fern looked panicked. Ivy gave her another brief description. I shuddered, allowing myself back to reality. I remembered doing that myself. It was horrible.
Fern raced home, half flying half running. I glanced at Ivy who shook her head.
"She is always forgetting these kind of things." I sighed. I felt bad for her. Ivy looked me up and down.
"What?" I suddenly became self-conscious.
"I don't know, you just look different." Ivy shrugged. There was something in her eyes that I hadn't seen before. If only I could place it...
"Well, I almost died so I should look a little different." I snorted, trying to put an end to the awkward situation.
"Once again, the dynamic duo saves the life of helpless boy, Cameron." Ivy closed one eye and spread her hands out in front of her, as if she was imagining the headline of a newspaper.
"Hey hey hey, it was Fern, not you who saved me this time. And where is this helpless boy coming from?" I laughed, "And besides, I'm older than you."
"Yea yea, whatever." Ivy playfully punched my upper arm. I choked back a laugh as she almost had to jump to reach it. Ivy noticed and blushed, I was almost six feet tall, and she was almost five feet. We found out that I was still growing and Ivy was pretty much done. (Fern and I made a measuring chart, Ivy hasn't grown in a while.) Fern, on the other hand, was between. She was about five-eight and we think she is still growing.
"Well, I guess I better get going." Ivy shrugged and gave me a half smile.
"Yea, me too."
Neither of us wanted to go, but stupid school always got in the way. Besides, I still had to find Hermes.
"See you tomorrow." Ivy started off towards town. I stared at the sky. A growing speck suddenly entered my view.
"Hey Ivy!" I called. She turned.
"Look who it is!" I smiled. Ivy did the same, spotting the spot in the sky as well.
"Hey Hermster!" She waved her arms. For once, I didn't roll my eyes or correct her. I guess I was too happy about finding my lost griffin. Or, I guess, he found us.
Hermes landed with a thump in front of me.
"Where have you been? Scared me half to death! Don't you ever do that again!" I tried to act angry. Based on Ivy's smirk, it wasn't really working. Hermes nuzzled my hand. Now how can you stay mad at that?
"Alright boy, let's go home." I pulled on Hermes' saddle, leading him towards town. Ivy fell into step beside me and we walked in a comfortable silence home.