Dearest

Wes felt his heart throbbing. The beat was loud in his ears. He put his hand against his chest and leaned into the edge of his bed.

"Damn." A heavy, long sigh left him. This feeling was new. It was a strong feeling that gripped his mind and heart tight in its warm, sticky hands.

"This is weird... I've never gotten like this around him before. What's wrong with me?"

Wes started with this several weeks ago. It started with a simple look, a simple smile, a simple nudge. He and Tobi had been close since their first year of high school; now sharing the same college. Since then, they've found themselves inseparable. Though now, Wes was beginning to question how he really felt about Tobi.

He slapped his hands against his face and dragged them down under his chin, jawline resting on his knuckles. The white wall of his room allowed his eyes to stare into nothingness.

"I'm in love with him, aren't I? Would I let myself risk losing my relationship with him over this? I don't know if I could even tell him... Shit!" Ache ran through him. "I'm such a dumbass! I... I'm gonna tell him. Maybe it won't be as bad as I'm making it out to be." His face burned with blush. "He's found such a place in me. I probably know everything about him, like he knows most everything about me. I love the way he moves, the way he talks, the way he smiles- I love everything he does. Tobi always listens; he cares. For 7 years he's done this. I always do my best to be there for him all the time. He's... someone I want to be with; someone I truly love." A smile stretched across his face. Decision made. "I'll tell him a few weeks from now. I want to be cautious. Telling him out of the blue might mess with his feelings, so I'll start hinting at it. Tread carefully."

The sun was setting. Orange and red lined the horizon. Going up, the sky eventually faded from pink to grey-blue. Big, fluffy clouds dotted the sky. They soaked up the colours around them.
The street was empty. This was the part of town that stayed relatively quiet, given that it was on the outskirts. Lights of shops and buildings started to dwindle as everyone began to settle in for the night. In the center of the three-way roundabout was an elevated patch of green with a few trees growing in it. Behind it, a straight shot view of the ocean could be seen. Tobi and Wes often walked along this route, and ended their stroll at this patch.
The two sat down and rested. Earlier, they had been talking about school, the latest song released by their favorite band, the sky- anything that crossed their minds.
They sat close to each other. Conversation went quiet. Tobi picked grass and fiddled the blades in between his fingertips. Wes looked down the street, listening to the faint sound of waves crashing in the distance. The sound of seagulls cawing mixed in with the hum of the ocean. Tobi didn't notice Wes's growing heart rate and uneasiness.

"Tobi...," he said softly.

"Hm?" The blade of grass in his fingers slipped.

"I...," he scoffed at himself, "I don't even know where to start, or how to say this."

Tobi cocked his head. "What's the matter?"

"Well, uh, I've fallen into a bit of a... predicament. I'm not sure how you'll react, and I'm kind of afraid to say this out loud." He looked at him and laughed a little. Nervousness was very apparent based on his expression.

Tobi snorted. "Haha, what man, have you gotten yourself into some sort of trouble? You can always tell me anything. It's not my place to judge you." He nudged him in the ribs. 

"I know, I know. It's just...," he rubbed his hands against his face. He sighed. A rope squeezed tighter on his lungs. His face grew hot. "Tobi, you're my dearest friend. You've been that way to me since we met. You're so special to me. Within the past month, I've started to notice that... these feelings are growing really intense. I've come to realize, Tobi, that I... have fallen in love with you." Wes looked him right in the eye.

Tobi sat there for a moment, a bit dumbfounded. His face was hard to read. Wes stood his ground, but his breath was held. Tobi's face then quickly rolled into a wide, enthusiastic smile.

"I knew it! Wes, why didn't you tell me sooner? I've felt the same way. I was just too afraid to say it." He took Wes's hand into his and locked their fingers together.

Relieved, Wes released his breath and laughed. He took Tobi close into his arms, and they tightly squeezed each other. "I'm so happy. I was so worried about telling you."

Tobi shook his head. "I'm glad you did."