Chapter 7

| Chapter 7

"Oh crap!"

Ron ducked out of the window and spun, staying on his feet. He saw the robots were spread out, the closest one no less than 100 yards away. He raised his shot then remembered it was empty.

"Give me the other shotgun. Hurry!"

Valerie passed the gun through the little rear window. Ron took it and spun, spreading his legs out to have a good base for balancing. The closest robot was landing on the back of the truck while another had started its descent. Ron shot it right in the head as it reached for him. The robot spun and fell off the truck. Ron aimed at the next one, missing this time. He shot again, the pellets from the shell ripping the side off of the robot's head but it kept coming. He shot it two more times in the chest and it fell to the ground. The last robot would be on Ron in a few seconds.

He bent down and grabbed a couple shells, but just as he have finished shoving the first one in the robot landed in the truck bed. Ron dropped the second shell, pressed a small button loading the shell into the chamber, and raised the gun. He aimed for the chest but as he pulled the trigger the truck went over a huge bump and shot merely grazed the top of the robots head. Wires hung out like hair and some smoke was coming out of it, but the robot was still in commision. Ron reached into his lab coat and pulled out two of the .45s. With one in each hand he took aim and began to fire.

The robot kept coming for him, even though the shots from the pistols were tearing holes through his head. The robot grabbed Ron and pulled on his leg sending him crashing to the floor of the truck bed. Ron kept shooting thankful for whoever had put loaded magazines into the ammo drawer of the facility. The robot was pulling Ron towards him. Ron aimed for the Robot's neck instead. He put four rounds there until black liquid came pouring out covering the robot's chest, and then it let go. It took all of Ron's strength to get his leg free of the robots grip. It laid still but Ron wanted to be sure it wouldn't get up so he shot the last of the bullets into the Robots neck until the head rolled away. Ron put the guns down and walked to the back of the truck. He grabbed the side to anchor himself, and then reached around the back lifting the handle to drop the tailgate. It dropped down and Ron moved back to the front of the bed. He pushed with all his might, but could only get it to slide a few inches.

"I'm going to need some help back here!"

Valerie made it through the rear window easily with her slender frame and Ron couldn't help but notice how graceful and beautiful she was as she looked down at the smoking bleeding robot tucking a piece of her dark hair behind her ear. She looked over at him.

"Thanks Ron. I don't think I could have handled four of them with only a shotgun to swing at them."

He hoped his face wasn't as red as it felt.

"No problem. I'm glad I could protect you, uh, us."

Okay now I know I'm blushing, Ron thought.

Valerie leaned in and kissed him on the cheek. Ron's world was filled with warmth and tingleys. All of his adrenaline from the fight drained out of him with Valerie's kiss like muscle aches in a hot tub.

Somehow, he thought, this is the best day of my life.

"Alright, well, let's get back in the truck. It's a little more comfortable than trying to stay on your feet with all these bumps.

"Uh, yeah. Sounds good," Ron said, barely able to get the words out. His head was in the clouds.

Ernie stopped the truck. The two hopped out and got in the cab, and they kept going. Valerie snuck her hand into Rons and leaned against him. His heart swelled with pride. No one spoke for a while after all the excitement. They listened to the snapping twigs under the tires and the constant rumble of the old engine pushing them through the forest. Eventually the bumpy ground gave way to a trail and then to a dirt road. Ernie broke the silence.