Chapter 9: We are an example of why not to fall in love

All buzzing with the pre-prom atmosphere, Avery, Chiara, Maria and I were lounging in my living room waiting for our dates to arrive. We'd spent the last couple hours getting changed into the clothes and jewellery I'd chosen for each of them.

For Maria's outift, I'd gotten inspiration from her Greek routes and chosen an ivory dress with a plunging neckline, overlapping skirt, halter and thin gold band belt. The latter of which matched a gold headband, adorned by pearls and dimante flowers, which barely held back her tumbling brunnette waves. With that, she wore a thin, light gold, rope necklace; large hoop earrings with a bird in flight on it; and gold strappy heels.

Chiara's dress suited her personality perfectly - pristine white with a sweetheart neckline and cutouts above. Her accessories were a long gold necklace with rose coloured additions, a peach ring with individual petals and gold hoop earrings with gold and pink designs inside. Those and the light pink suede shoes with a bow set off her blonde hair beautifully.

It'd taken a lot of convincing to persuade Avery into a dress, so I'd made a compromise with the dress I chose which had a high neck, plain pattern and reasonable length. But it was backless and accented her nice tan and complexion. In typical Avery style, I'd picked out black accessories - painted pearl earrings, silver rounded necklace with clusters of onyx teardrops and black heels with a cut-out pattern.

My dress was one of the simplest: a short, off-the- shoulder white dress with the one sleeve made of a loose, translucent material, creating a wing-like design. With it, I wore wedged, gold strappy heels, a predominantly gold necklace, a silver gemmed bracelet and earrings layered with diamonds, gold and glass.

I could say for sure, we looked amazing.

Avery was going with long-time boyfriend Joey, he was a first year college student who was crazy about her. So who was anyone to judge? Maria and Chiara were both currently single so their dates were just the most decent of the many guys who'd asked them. And for me, there was Gale.

-8-

"It's beautiful..." Chiara breathed, while Avery and I exchanged sceptical glances. It was... nice, I guess. But it was too overdone - the winter wonderland theme looked too fake, like the inside of a corny Christmas card.

The effect of the neon strobe lights (bad choice by the prom committee - I personally would have gone for something more muted, like gold or blue) reflecting off the white garments that people were wearing was disorientating. But hey, I wasn't here to look at the decorations, I should be having fun.

Taking Gale's hand, I said "Come on the, lets dance."

He smirked "I don't dance."

"Yes you can!" I said, sounding annoying like an advert.

He rolled his eyes, "Girls have it so easy - you just move your hips, shake your hair and you look sexy!"

"Like this?" I shimmied my hips and brushed my hand through my hair, then winked at him. "Anyone can dance."

Laughing and rolling his eyes, he led us onto the dance floor - I had a feeling just to shut me up. And to be honest, he wasn't bad.

When we were bored of dancing, we sat down in the corner of the room. As he wrapped his arm around me I leaned into him, smiling to myself.

"I love you." I said.

It was so long before he answered that I'd all but forgotten I'd even said anything. "I need to tell you something."

"Go on," I murmured, distracted by the paper snowflakes drift to the ground from the ceiling rafters.

"Well, I don't really know how to say this... but I'm-"