Chapter 18

I couldn't believe the things I had just heard. This whole thing with Caligo had been happening for quite so time now, but it suddenly became overwhelming and I was in need of a break or something to clear my head. I stormed out of my chamber, leaving the lady to sit in confusion. My mind swirled infinitely as I paced down the corridor. I didn't know where I was going, I just let my feet move my body to wherever. I was chosen. I didn't want to be chosen, but apparently I wasn't the one to make the decision. Or was I? They couldn't stop me if I left now. I knew this wasn- I stopped in my tracks. I had walked for a while down the long corridor before I reach a narrow arch at the end where a flooding of white light poured in. I slowly made my way over to it. I shielded my eyes with my forearm and lifted my foot waiting to meet ground. When I finally emerged, what I saw was breathtaking. Where I stood it looked like a courtyard of sorts with old stone beneath my feet that cracked with weeds, there were flowers everywhere just like in the castle, but these flowers were bright and appeared exotic. There were old grey pillars perfectly spaced around an area of grass I couldn't yet identify. Brilliant statues of women and men and fountains spewing clear waters sat along the place hooking the eye wherever they were. I walked along the sunlit path to where the pillars led me, I got to a place where I could see the mountains in the distance, clouds embracing the top and birds (or maybe angels) dipping high and low. Going further, I stood under a canopy of branches that dimmed the white light. The place looked more like a garden now and I was scared to crush the beautiful blue flowers beneath my feet. I walked slowly along the shaded flowery path in wonderment. Suddenly coming to peace and forgetting everything I was thinking about. I stopped only when I saw a old bench and a lady sitting on it with her back to me.
"Hello?" I called, but she didn't turn. I slowly walked up to her. When I finally got up to her I was in complete shock.
"Lina?" She turned to me her eyes sad and droopy.

She definitely looked different from the last time I had seen her. She pulled the brown fabric around her, closer using it as a blanket. She looked down, deciding not to speak to me. I sat down beside, resting my hands on my lap and twiddling my thumbs. I could only imagine how hurt she must have been. I didn't understand why they would suddenly decide she wasn't fit to be queen. And for them to think I was fit, was definitely beyond me. I snuck peeks at her while sitting for what felt like hours. I finally managed to speak up to her.
"Lina." She blinked momentarily, then looked over to me.
"W-what happened... between you and Anison?" She looked down toying with the brown fabric. She looked as if she was about to say something then stopped. When I realized she wasn't going to talk, I started to speak again.
"You don't have to worry about me Lina, I don't want to be queen." Her eyes shot to mine.
"You dont have to feel guilty or pity me." She turned more to me.
"You're the one now. They need you."
"No. They don't need me. They'll have you, Lina. I'm going home. I have to be with my family." Her eyes widened.
"Emery, you can't go home now. After all that's happened you are basically apart of this place."
"But I don't belong here. I felt like I did at first, but now I'm realizing... I'm not an angel." She began shaking her head, and closed her eyes. I rested my hand on her shoulder, narrow and frail.
"If I leave, can you tell Anison why?" I watched as her eyes swirled with several emotions, and her lips tightened.
"Please?" She let out a breath, before nodding.
"You really don't understand how lucky you are. But okay."
^^^

After I had left the secret garden, I snuck out of Caligo. I had been there so long I knew the place well and had no trouble finding the portal back home. I knew in my heart, I was making the right decision. I belonged at home, with my family. Not here. I could see the spinning stars of the portal and before I got close I looked back at Caligo, and the ball of light I had seen when I first came here all those months ago. It felt different to see it when I was leaving, and I a most had a feeling of nostalgia of back when I was naive enough to believe this could be my new home. It was easy to believe with the beauty of the place, but in my heart I knew it wasn't right.

Now, I was ready to leave. I lifted up my foot, bracing myself for the fall.
"Emery!" I turned to see Caile swooping in behind me.
"Where are you going?" He asked he's feet lightly on the ground.
"Home." I answered truthfully.
" You can't go home." He almost looked hurt, like I was betraying him.
"I have to." I stepped closer to the portal.
"But if you leave... Cessia would have died for nothing." I stopped in my tracks as tears began welling up in my eyes again.
"Caile, I have a family. You understand that right?" He sighed, shaking his head.
"Emery, all of us had families. We were all people making a big decision, just like you. We need you here."
"Well I'm sorry. Lina would be a better a queen. You guys need to keep her. Not me." I wanted it that to be the end, but he wasn't giving up.
"I'm know it seems like a lot. All this queen and angel stuff, but trust me. It will pay off. We chose you for a reason, don't you think?" I was quiet for a moment. Caile reached his arms out to me, moving forward cautiously as if I was dangerous. I was ready to back away but then I looked up to see Anison coming towards us. Seeing him made me realize why I was really running away. I didn't love him. I looked at Caile who was also looking up at Anison and I took that opportunity to throw myself into the portal, hearing both of them call my name as I fell among the glistening stars...