Chapter Twenty Five

I was a wreck

I was a wreck. I looked like one and I felt like one. I was destroying myself from within and no matter what I do, I couldn't stop feeling this way. I left Caleb and somehow it hurt more than leaving my family. He doesn't even have my contact and if he drove to my house he wouldn't find me there. I have to stop running back to him the moment reality becomes too much for me. Especially now when he is with someone. He's trying to move on. But I know I'm a hypocrite because I'm counting the minutes until I could be David again.

I only have a few months left of school and I still don't know what I'm going to do after that. I can always apply for an arts degree and I would have to work hard if I want to get a decent college. The debts would kill me but at least I would be doing something for me, something that would make me happy.

I convinced my art teacher to keep my paintings in the art supply closet. She was a quirky person and I've yet to see her without a smile pasted on her face. I gave her the excuse that my house was under construction and I couldn't afford to lose them. She bought my lies and told me they are safe with her.

After school was over, all the girls, as usual, made a stop at Elena's place. I was unusually quiet and no one cared enough to bother me. I've been noticing how Elena has been distancing herself from me. I don't know why she was behaving like that. I don't think she knows what's going between me and David but something is bothering her. I never had friends so I don't know if I should talk to her about this or let it go. I don't want to seem clingy and dramatic.

"I feel thirsty. I'll be right back."

Elena smiled at me and then she went back to talking. David was not at home. His car was missing from its usual spot. I slipped into his study room when I saw the door was marginally open. I had one person in my mind, Selena David George.

The woman was a mystery to me. There was something about this woman that appealed to me. I felt like I could connect with her, maybe that's why David thought he saw a glimpse of her in me. I looked through his drawers but found nothing. I turned to the bookshelves and noticed a similar bronze coloured book I saw in Elena's room. I immediately grabbed it and opened it. Unlike the one that was filled with quotes, this one looked more personal and elaborate. I know the right thing was to put it back but I was never the one who followed rules. I randomly opened a page and read it.

I have had enough. I couldn't handle the thought of being the second choice for David any more. All he ever wanted was Rose. The girl who always played with his heart. The girl who always thought she was better than me. I hate her. I know he calls her every night and sees her every week. I ask about it and he lies to my face. It hurts so much. It feels like I'm bleeding from within from all the emotional cuts he's been giving me over the years. But what could I even do? I couldn't leave him. He's my---

"What do you think you are doing in my study?"

Startled, I dropped the book and turned around to face him. He looked so angry. I collected the book from the ground and placed it back at its original place. With my head low, I tried to pass David but he gripped my arm and yanked me back to his sturdy chest and closed the door behind him.