Chapter 1.

August 26, 1996.

Alex.

"Lex, wake up, time for school."

My eyes opened to see my younger sister looking down at me.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Okay, Less. Go on, get dressed."

She nodded and walked out of my room, giving me time to get ready. I immediately went to my drawer to pick out some dope clothes for today. It was my first day of tenth grade after all.

I put my Etta James CD in my player and turned it all the way up, stripping from my clothes and getting in the shower.

After twenty minutes of a hot shower, I brushed my wet curls out and put on my outfit; ripped jeans, a black tank top, and my favorite Wu-Tang Clan beanie.

I ran downstairs and sat at the table.

"Good morning Alexandria." My mom said, setting a plate stacked with pancakes in front of me.

I groaned and looked at her. "Mom, I told you it's just Alex now."

She smiled. "Sorry, my little thug girl." She pinched my cheek.

I rolled my eyes playfully and picked up my fork.

"Yes Stacey, I thought what Angie had on was so ugly too," my older sister Alisa chatted on her cell phone as she stepped down the stairs. "she's such a loser." She grabbed a piece of bacon and ate it.

Alisa was seventeen, and thought she was all that at times. She always thought she was better than us and picked on my younger sister and I just because of that.

"Good morning guys." My younger sister Alessia smiled, kissing my mom's cheek and hugging my neck.

Alessia was fourteen, and a shy introvert who loved to write. Unlike Alisa, Alessia was my half-sister (we have different fathers) but I loved her just the same. And to be honest, she was my favorite sister.

"Ready for your first year of high school, Less?" I asked, forking another piece of pancake into my mouth.

She shrugged and smiled a bit. "Kind of. But I'm scared."

"Don't be. We're in the same building, you'll be fine as long as I'm around."

She nodded. "Thanks, Alex."

"No problem." I replied.

By that time, Alisa was done talking to her stupid friend on the phone and eating with the rest of us.

"Alisa, drive your sisters to school today." Mom said to her.

"Can't," Alisa replied.

"And why not?" Mom raised an eyebrow.

"Because, they're not cool." Alisa chuckled. "Being seen with them will ruin my reputation."

Alessia looked down at her plate, and I threw daggers at Alisa in my mind.

Mom crossed her arms. "You don't talk about your sisters in that way. You're going to drive them to school."

"But—"

"End of the conversation."

I snickered at the look on Alisa's face. It was so priceless.

"Ugh, come on." She huffed, standing up and walking towards the door.

I rolled my eyes and Alessia and I kissed Mom goodbye.

"Bye, I love you guys. Have fun at school!" Mom smiled, waving at us.