Chapter 9.

September 13, 1996.

Jules.

It's only been three days since I've last talked to Alex, but I couldn't have missed her any more.

She was my best friend for God's sake, and I missed her. So, I set my pride aside and went over to her house.

Alex's mom answered the door, smiling warmly at me.

"Hello, Jules." She hugged me.

"Hey Ms. Augello." I smiled after we pulled away. "Is Alex home?"

She shook her head. "She went dress shopping for the dance tonight. Alessia's home, though. Please, come in."

I stepped inside the house and thanked Ms. Augello, going upstairs towards Alessia's room.

The door was open, so I walked right in and knocked on the wall.

She turned and smiled at me. "Hey Jules! What are you doing here?"

I came and sat next to her on her bed. "I came looking for Alex to apologize to her, but your mom told me she went dress shopping."

Alessia nodded, sighing. "Jules, Alex misses you like crazy. I told her what you said and she says none of that happened. Keith is lying to you."

I nodded my head. "That's why I came to apologize. I miss her, and it was mean not to believe her. I know she was just looking out for me."

"To tell the truth, my friend Johnny says he's been cheating too." Alessia scratched her arm. "I think you need to start watching him."

I nodded, opening my mouth to say something, when Alex walked in.

"Hey Less. Hi, Jules." Alex smiled at us. But when she smiled at me, I knew it wasn't the same smile she always gave me.

I stood up. "Alex, I'm sorry. What you said is true. I'm really sorry for hurting your feelings."

Alex looked at me for a moment and sighed.

"Come give me a hug, applehead."

I smiled and hugged her.

"I really missed you." She said quietly, hugging me tighter as if she didn't want to let me go.

"I missed you too girl."

We finally pulled away and talked about everything.

"I have more and more people coming up to me now, telling me about his infidelity. But I need proof." I sighed.

Alex snapped her fingers. "Jimmy!"

"Huh?" Alessia and I said in unison.

"Jimmy Sanders asked me to the dance. He's a photographer for the school newspaper. He could help us." She explained.

I nodded. "Great idea Alex. But how are we gonna do it?"

Alex held her finger up. "Don't question Alex the Great! I'll figure it out."

September 14, 1996.

Alex.

"Could you do me a favor, Jimmy?" I said to him over the phone.

"Anything for you." He said softly.

"Could you help me catch a cheater?" I asked.

"Who are we talking about?"

"Keith Washington."

"Captain of the football team Keith Washington? Oh, Alex, I can't do that. He'll clobber me for sure."