Chapter 4, Part I.

September 6, 1996.

Alex.

Jules and I were walking to school when we spotted a big crowd outside the school.

"Wonder what's going on," I said, mostly to myself.

"Let's go find out." Jules grabbed my hand and pulled me over towards the crowd.

"Yes guys that's right! Another dope party at my house, tomorrow night!"

We pushed our way to the front and looked at my friend Lida, who was handing out flyers.

Once she was finished, I talked to her.

"Hey Lida." I waved.

She smiled. "Hey, Alex! How are you?"

"I'm great." I glanced at Jules. "Hey, this is my friend Jules. She's new here."

Lida stuck her hand out and Jules shook it.

"Nice to meet you. My name is Lida Scott, but everyone calls me the queen of party-throwing." She laughed.

"I see." Jules laughed with her.

"I think you guys got the memo already, but there's a party at my house tomorrow night. You guys are welcome to stop by for the fun." She hands flyers to us both.

"Can I just ask, where is your house?" Jules asked.

"Oh, Alex will show you." Lida replied. "Well, I gotta get going. I hope to see you two there!" Lida ran off into the school.

Jules and I walked inside.

"So, you wanna go?" I asked her.

She shrugged. "I'll see if Keith is going first."

I frowned. "Aw Jules, please? It won't be the same without you."

"Don't worry. I'll just see." She reassured.

"Alright." I sighed.

After school, I asked Jules what Keith said.

"He said he couldn't go." Jules replied.

"Are you gonna go?" I asked, hoping she said yes.

Jules thought about it. "I don't really want to if he's not going..."

"I'll protect you," I told her truthfully. "I wish somebody would."

Jules laughed, smiling at me. "I'll go, Alex. But I don't think I need protection."

I smiled back at her. "Just in case."

The next night, I begged my mom to go.

"Please, mom! Jules will be there, I won't be alone." I pleaded as I followed her around the kitchen.

"No, Alex. Parties are too dangerous."

I sighed and sat down in the kitchen chair. "Then how come Alisa gets to go?"

"Because I'm old enough, loser," Alisa walked into the kitchen, typing away on her pager.

"Good idea!" I exclaimed, causing Alisa to stumble and drop her pager in the dish water.

"Damnit!" She screamed.

Mom popped her in the mouth. "Watch your mouth, child."

My mother was white, but she could get hood if she needed to.

"Anyways mom, that's a good idea. Alisa's going, so she could keep an eye on me."

Mom looked at me. "I don't know, Alex."