Who's The Best?

Chapter 38:Who's The Best?

Groaning with pain,I opened my eyes and stared right into a pair of frightfully large green eyes.I choked back a scream,only to find that the eyes belonged to a dragon,not a human.In about a few seconds,I realised it was Toothless."Sorry 'bout that.I thought you were an enemy who had sneaked onto the island,"Hiccup came up behind me."Why on earth are you flying round Berk in the middle of the night?!"I cocked an eyebrow at him suspiciously."I'll just get straight to the point.Once you are old enough and you are chosen by me and the other dragon riders,you get to be part of the Berk Watch.It's a group where we patrol Berk to keep it safe from enemies.Today,Astrid,Fishlegs and I are patrolling Berk for the night,"he explained as Toothless bounded up to me and nudged my hand.I nodded in understanding.

"I'll just take my leave now,"I muttered as I yawned and stretched.Hiccup nodded and mounted Toothless."Hey Yannied,"he suddenly piped up as I turned to leave,"Maybe one day you and your friends will become one of the members of the Berk Watch.We'll see how it goes,"he finished before shooting off on Toothless."That's good,"I replied before running up to the wall of my house,scaling the wall and jumping in at the window into my bedroom.

~One week later~

"It's time!It's time!"Nevaeh shrieked as she jumped up and down around Death and Skull.It was the hugely anticipated day:The Dragon Race.Cassie,Jessica,Zack,Nevaeh,Oliver and I were gathered outside the Academy,where the race would start.The whole village was crowded around the outside of the Academy,chattering and shouting excitedly.Just as the last banner was hung up,a horn sounded,silencing everyone.Stoick,the chief of the village,rose from a grand oak chair he had been sitting on."My fellow villagers,I am glad to welcome you back to this grand,amazing Dragon Race.This time,instead of the usual racers,we have new,younger racers that are completely different.They have gladly accepted the challenge of taking part in this race.Let's welcome them!"he announced,gesturing to us.Hiccup ran up and pushed Nevaeh forward."Go on,one by one,"he instructed.Nevaeh swaggered into the Academy with Death and Skull,waving at everyone.Next went Cassie on Mayhem,standing on him and posing and waving.Jessica walked up next and simply smiled and waved politely.Oliver showed off Fireproof's muscular body and made him flame up,spread his wings and roar.Zack made Deathroar show off his collection of dagger-sharp spines and his magnesium blast.Last of all was me.Strolling into the Academy,I made Castaway roll in and suddenly uncurl in one millisecond and roar his loudest.The villagers cheered for everyone.

"Now,the contestants will prepare themselves and in five minutes,they'll be ready to listen to the route they will have to take as the race.Contestants,proceed to the stables!"Stoick ordered.We ran for the nearby stables where Hiccup and his friends were preparing face paint and fish and water for our dragons before the race.I grabbed some black and red face paint and smeared it onto Castaway's face.I painted black round his eyes and a red arrow on his forehead and snout.Then I quickly painted the same design on my own face.Strapping my homemade saddle to Castaway,I adjusted it till it was at the right place and the right angle.Castaway swallowed some fishes and had a drink of water before the horn sounded again for us to come out.I glanced at the others.They looked terrifying,almost menacing,with their face paint designs,not to mention their dragons.I led Castaway out into the Academy.The others came up behind me.

"Attention,contestants!This is the route you'll have to take,"Gobber pointed to a large-scale map of Berk,"Firstly,you'll start from here and fly out to sea and weave through the sea-stacks there.After the sea-stacks,you'll have to soar up to the sky all the way up to Gothi's house and grab a flag each from her rooftop.The flags will have your dragon's face on it,so take the right one!After taking a flag,you'll have to dive straight down all the way to Sven's farm and start collecting sheep for yourselves!The sheep have a target painted on their bodies so you can't cheat by taking just any sheep.Before collecting a sheep,however,you'll have to come back here and fly one whole lap around Berk and return right here.One white sheep is worth one point.There are sheep let loose all over the island,so keep your eyes peeled,"Gobber paused for breath before continuing,"Then,at a certain point in time,a horn will be blown to signal the release of The Black Sheep!It's worth ten points,and whoever gets it first gets ten points!The first contestant to ten points wins the race!And remember,you must have your flag with you to win!"Gobber finally finished.Everyone cheered and shouted and stamped till the Academy shook beneath our feet."Contestants,position yourselves!When the horn is blown,the race shall BEGIN!"Stoick sat down again,evidently interested to watch us.