Memories

Her room seemed unusually dark today. Over the months, it's glow had slowly been diminishing, and had finally reached a point where all happiness seemed to have been sucked out of it.

The mere candles could only light up the space within the four walls, the atmosphere and the heart of the room's owner had been invariably dark since the past six months.

No, it was not like she was some gloomy personality hidden in the confines of her room, blaming her destiny for what it did to her. Neither was she a living statue, cut off from the life around.

She was still the Queen Mother of the Mughal Sultanate. As strong in her personality as her husband, Shehenshah Jalal-ud-din Mohammad. Her persona defined royalty and grace. No matter how many storms brewed within, her face always had the elegance of a queen.

Not even her closest friends in the palace had seen her shedding tears after that one day. A day she still cursed with all her heart.

...

Sitting on the couch of her royal chamber, the queen's gaze was fixed on the painting of hers and Jalal on the wall, together, and smiling. The sight of it gave immense peace to her heart. His sight...his smile... how much she missed being with him. Without a blink, she looked on. As if he would just come out of it and hug her tight, just like the good old days.

Perhaps the advancing years had somewhat diminished the glow of this beautiful face, but the spark in those sharp eyes of hers was still intact.

It was 6th February, 1606. A date which had always been a matter of celebrations in the whole of Agra, till half-a-year ago.

Jodha still remembered their first anniversary. Jalal had given her the title of Malika-E-Hind and the right to sit beside him in the DEK, on that very day.

Suddenly, she moved her eyes from the painting to the other side of the room. Then slowly got up, and she was soon standing beside a medium-sized jeweled golden box.

A beautiful royal crown, encrusted with the most precious rubies and diamonds, rested in it. Jodha took it out, with almost trembling hands... and stared at it for a moment.

Her mind wandered back to the day when she first had to go the Diwan-E-Khaas as the Empress.

...

43 Years Ago, 1563.

The young Empress was pacing to and fro in her chamber, visibly impatient and tense.

"Jodha Begum..." Jalal in his usual happy tone entered the room, but was a bit surprised to see Jodha this way. He quickly asked her, " Kya hua Jodha Begum? Aap idhar udhar ghoom kyun rhi hain?" ( What happened Jodha Begum? Why are you pacing to and fro?)

She turned to have a look at her ever-handsome husband, and then again looked down. "Aap toh jaante hi hain na Shehenshah, aaj humara Diwaan-E-Khaas mein pehla din hai... Usi ki chinta hai humein.." ( You know right, that it's my first day in the Diwaan-E-Khaas today... I am worried about that only...)

Jalal knew this was coming. That was why he was here now, to tell her that everything will be fine.

"Toh kya hua? Hum hain na, aapko chinta karne ki kya zaroorat? Aur waise bhi aapki siyaasi samajh par humein koi shak nahi..." ( So what? I'm here na...then why are you worrying about that? And anyway, I have absolutely no doubts on your political understanding...) Jalal was now beside her, his eyes all the while glued to her.

But Jodha wasn't assured as yet. " Aapke vishwaas ke kaaran hi toh humein shakti milti hai Shehenshah... parantu fir bhi, humein aisa lagta hai jaise wahaan humari upastithi se bohot log aprasann hain..." ( You trust is my strength Shehenshah...but still, I feel many aren't happy with my being there...)