7

Go into the library as soon as possible, get the x-disk back and also get me some food. I'm starving.

Imara's instructions were clear. She had nudged me early this morning when the sky just began to lighten. She warned me to be careful and also quick since it wasn't clear how much time we were going to have until someone discovered her. Then she slipped back under her safe haven under my bed.

Just act normal.

I went to use the bathroom first and afterwards, I hurried over to the library. It was still quite early and no one else was up yet. I made sure to act inconspicuous for the cameras.

I realized my problem once I got to there; I had no way of knowing which x-disk was mine. Sure, there were titles on each one but from my previous trip, I had discovered that several copies of Mankind's Guide to Fortuna were in the library as well. It didn't help that all the x-disks that were on the table before were now all in the boxes like mine - the guard from last night probably cleaned them all up and placed them into the boxes. It was time for some digging.

I dug into the closest box and carried out an armful of disks. I scattered them on the floor and started to sort them by title. I continued with the top half of the two boxes since it was unlikely that my newly placed disk would be at the bottom.

When I was finished, I was surprised to see nine copies of Mankind's Guide to Fortuna, each copy looking identical to every other. I leaned back and looked behind me into the hallway. Everyone was still asleep.

I laid the nine disks out in a row.

3...2...1

I swiped my right hand across all nine at once. Like a chain reaction, each one of the disks began to beep, a chorus of high pitched crying harmonizing with the bright display of flashing lights. They were clams in the ocean, opening up slowly to reveal their treasures inside. As the nine holograms were projected from the disks, I looked to see which one was different from the rest.

The menu screens of each disk were almost all the same with the exception of one. It seemed to have an extra option in the menu: Fortuna and the Galaxy.

I knew that had to be the one.

Quickly and quietly, I snatched the disk and threw the other ones casually back into the boxes. I jogged lightly back to my room with the disk safely tucked under my suit. I could hear the soft rumbling of awakening. They must have smelled the aroma of breakfast that was travelling through the hallways.

"Mission complete," I whispered to Imara as I stepped into my room, closing my door softly. She was still under the bed.

She yawned and then stuck her head from beneath it. "Sorry. I fell back asleep because you took so long."

I brushed off her remark and smiled as I held the disk in front of her face. She reached with an arm to grab it and I moved back.

"What's the magic word?" I smirked, knowing that I now had some leverage. "Or Hayden is the best. Whatever works for you."

She rolled her eyes. "Are we really doing this? You're going to need my help. I've been here two weeks longer than you."

"Where are the guards? Maybe they'll want to know where you are," I shrugged. "I mean. I know you're smart and all but how can I be sure that I can trust you?"

She gave me a death glare. "You didn't even get food for a starving girl. How can I trust you?"

"Oh. My bad. I wasn't aware that we had a breakfast buffet here. I'm sorry did you want an omelette?" I exclaimed.