Fake You Out

I was distracted from my thoughts for a while. Living in the moment, as Grunkle Stan said. I managed to make it through a meal and some family time before my thoughts hit me like a train.

Mabel, Grunkle Stan, Grunkle Ford and I were watching some dumb movie when my thoughts had started to wander. My chest tightened at the thoughts of school. I would have to go to school tomorrow. It was the last official day. Finals were next week. I did not want to do this. I take all AP and honors classes, and honestly, as many could assume, it was stressful.

Tomorrow I would have to clean out my gym locker. The locker room was always a place I dreaded. Physical education as a class was horrifying enough for me.

After Grunkle Stan and I ate, I felt sick. I decided to go up to my room and lay down for a while. Mabel was hanging with her friends, so I was alone.

I pulled out a sketchbook and started drawing. Nobody knew that I liked drawing. I never really told anyone. Figure drawing was my favorite thing to do. There were many interesting people in Gravity Falls so I had lots of practice and interesting subject matter.

A few hours passed. Mabel was home and laying in the bed across from mine.

"Dipper?" she pipes.

"Yes, Mabel?" I replied.

"What are we going to do this summer? Last summer we practically did everything possible. What's left for us to do? I don't want it to be boring." She says.

I sighed. Honestly, I had no clue. It's not like I could see the future. "I don't know, Mabel. But, hopefully it's fun."

"Yeah..." She trails off. She turns on her side and faces the wall. "Goodnight Dipdop" She says.

I sighed at the nickname, but laughed a bit. I picked up a book and started reading. It was quite interesting. Many people called me a nerd for reading all the time, but I loved it. The book was about the Zodiac Killer and it had a lot of theories. Books like this often caught my interest. But after an hour of reading, something else had captured that interest.

Outside the window of our bedroom, I saw a shadow. I couldn't tell what it was but it was not human. It was unnatural.

I crept downstairs, trying not to wake anyone. I wanted to know what had caused the shadow.

Walking quietly, I slipped out of the Mystery Shack, unnoticed. Typical.

I walked around the shack for a few minutes. When I was about to give up I saw the shadow again.

Running towards it, I thought to myself, 'What sane person would do this? It's nearly one o'clock in the morning and I'm chasing shadows.'

When I had lost any signs of the shadow I gave up. I walked back upstairs and laid in bed. Thinking about the shadow made sleeping ten times harder. By six o'clock in the morning I had finally passed out.