18. friday

At the office, it looked like the word about her response to complaints the day before had spread, because Cooper's assistant didn't have any name appointed for the morning

At the office, it looked like the word about her response to complaints the day before had spread, because Cooper's assistant didn't have any name appointed for the morning. Helen welcomed her with the coffeemaker already full in the small office, and a sober tray with FBI mugs, sugar and cookies. So Gillian could but smile when she brought her a dozen folders with reports to check and sign.

"She's fine," Gillian said, noticing there was something the woman didn't dare to ask. "I've spent most of the night at the hospital—please keep it between us—and she had a good sleep. Doctors think she can be discharged this afternoon."

"Oh, then I should drop by her place, to get everything ready."

"Don't worry, I got it." Gillian smiled wider at the 'really?' painted all over the woman's face. "I'm taking her home, and I'll stick around over the weekend, to make sure she doesn't get up for nothing."

"Oh, that's just... Thank you, Agent Gillian! Thank you so much!"

She glanced down at the folders and sighed. "Now I should get to work."

Helen hesitated, then stopped her from picking the folders. Gillian frowned when she flicked through them and took four from the pile. "I can take care of these," Helen said. Her chin pointed at the coffee machine. "Hope you like it. I asked Agent Morris to show me how he makes it."

Gillian narrowed her eyes with a little smirk, waiting for Helen to face her. The other woman did and arched her eyebrows, at the brink of a smile. Gillian scoffed, shaking her head.

A while later, she showed up at the team's office. Fred saw the mug in her hand and scowled. Gillian winked at him. "Your ruse to get rid of my coffee requests worked. I'm afraid Helen's is fantastic."

Ron patted the sniper's shoulder. "Welcome to the dumped club, my friend. Now you know how it feels."

Gillian, Aldana and Tanya chuckled at that, and the girl anticipated any question. "No news from Maine. It snowed all night, so things are moving even slower now."

"Reg, please give us something. We're going crazy here, doing nothing," said Hank.

She frowned, thinking. "There are a couple of agents that could use a hand with their cases, if you don't mind me assigning one of you to each of them..." The men in the room nodded eagerly. "Okay, then. Give me a while to fix it." She turned to Tanya again. "Are you good on your own, T?"

The girl arched her eyebrows. "You're not the only one missing Connor, y'know."

Gillian stretched out to pat Kurt's head, because he'd kept his earphones on and was completely absorbed by whatever he was doing on his computer. Now he looked up—who, me?

"You're T's backup from now on, Kurt. That means around the clock and over the weekend, until the Maine case is closed."

Kurt glared down at the girl, who smirked, daring him to argue.

"Any other domestic trouble in paradise?" asked Gillian.

"Well, we're lacking a team leader, but I don't think you can do anything about that," Ron replied.

It was just too much for Gillian, who strode across the office to him, grabbed his face and smashed a loud kiss on his cheek. Ron was so taken aback that he blushed instantly, in a furious red that made the others laugh out loud. She pinched his cheek, laughing with them, and walked out.

Russell called at noon, when Gillian was on her way to the hospital.

"This is so getting on my nerves, Reg," he said, and his voice matched his words. "We gotta move deeper in, using roads that are but old tracks, and the snow makes it even harder."

"Are the Tac teams there with you?"

"Yeah, that's the only pro: we're gonna be able to cover more ground with them. But we're gonna be here for weeks if we don't get a break soon."

"Jeez, that sucks. Nobody claimed the body?"

"Nope. It's still at Ashland hospital, with an agent there around the clock."

"Good. Anything you may need for the weekend?"

"A ticket to the Bahamas? How's everything going over there?"

"Rolling smooth. Cooper's fine and the whiners hate me."

"Let me guess. Troy, Farrell, Bouchard... Tremblay?" They scoffed at the same time. "Gotta go now. Love you."

"Love you too, Scully."

"Oh, you're giving the title away?"

"Shut up!"

At the hospital, she found Cooper already sitting up on her bed and about to have lunch. Gillian smiled at her greeting scowl.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, ma'am. Just dropped by to check in and let you know everything is fine. And no news from Maine; they're starting to canvass the southern part of the woods."

"What about the snow?"

How the heel did she know that? Did she channel-surf until she found Maine's forecast? "Annoying but nothing serious." She pointed at the lunch before Cooper. "Enjoy that gourmet fix, ma'am, 'cause I'm taking you home in a couple of hours."

Cooper arched one eyebrow—you what?

"You're not going back home alone in a taxi, ma'am. I'm afraid it's me or Helen."

Cooper sighed. "Alright..."

It wasn't easy to convince the Iron Lady, but she eventually agreed to let Gillian stay the night at her place. But Cooper refused to let her linger around in the afternoon. "I didn't appoint you as ASAC to have you babysitting me, Gillian. I need you at the office."

Knowing she'd already gotten much more than she could expect, Gillian went back to the office. Lucky her, Ron, Fred and Hank's help to other agents gave her a bunch of new reports to read, so she wouldn't get bored. When the staff left for the weekend, she made Tanya swear she'd call if anything came up in Maine and went home for a change of clothes before going to Cooper's.