19. bad news, good news

It wasn't a nice dinner, watching on the news how the French police breached the theater, just to find most of the hundred hostages dead

It wasn't a nice dinner, watching on the news how the French police breached the theater, just to find most of the hundred hostages dead. After that, not even a binge of the eleventh Doctor's best episodes felt appealing.

While Gillian kept watching the news, Tanya set to work and Connor took on a watch on social media to search for anything related to Akron. Tanya was finally able to access the records of the special line, but she found nothing there that could interest them.

Considering it was Friday night, Gillian fetched a six-pack from the fridge and brought it to the table. It was still so odd, seeing Connor drink beer. Where had time gone? Hadn't it been last year when he had his first soda, coming back from kindergarten? At least he took little sips, she noticed; he didn't gulp it up in a hurry.

He was the first to get any positive result. Gillian joined them at the table thinking that 'positive' was an ironic way to call it. No news about the militia could ever earn that adjective. The boy showed them a picture he'd found on Instagram. It'd been posted only a few minutes ago and it showed the front of Akron's mosque, a discreet two-story building painted in white, with red doors and windows. And on one of the white walls, a just-painted graffiti in black. It was some kind of drawing and three words: you must pay.

"Okay, that's something," Gillian said, leaning in to take a better look at it.

"Oh, boy..." Tanya breathed, and turned to her computer to search for the picture. "Look, Reg," she said then, in a thread of voice.

Gillian and Connor leaned together to the girl's computer, as Tanya zoomed in. The graffiti was a quick sketch of an iron cross with a lightning.

"Shit! It's them! Send me that pic, T."

She fetched her phone and dialed Cooper. There was no way the Iron Lady had gone to bed early at such a night.

"Ma'am, the militia's threatened Akron's mosque," she said before Cooper had a chance to ask what anything.

"You positive?"

"Yes. I'm sending you a picture to prove it."

She waited for Cooper to receive the file and open it.

"I see. I'll get in touch with Akron PD."

"Ma'am, I—"

"I need you in Boston, Gillian. This is far from over."

Gillian had to smile at the way Cooper cut her off, and didn't insist.

A moment later, Cooper snorted. "I want you all back at the office by Monday morning, understood?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Let me make some calls. I'll call you back."

"Yes, ma'am."

Cooper disconnected with an annoyed huff.

Gillian allowed herself another mild smile and turned again to Tanya. "T, we're leaving for Akron tomorrow morning. Two days. We'll be back on Sunday night. You two are staying here."

Connor's eyebrows dropped on a serious frown. "You think I still need T to babysit me?"

Gillian's face was the epitome of innocence. "Of course not! I just thought you could lend a hand, 'cause I'm taking Kurt."

Tanya's eyes widened. "You're taking him and leaving me behind?"

Gillian nodded. "I took you to Maine. I'm not letting you anywhere near crossfire again, T."

Connor anticipated the girl's complaints. "C'mon, T! Home alone! When was the last time, huh?"

Gillian's phone buzzed then. When she looked down to open Cooper's text, her eyes fell on the picture of the graffiti and her smile disappeared.

"I'm gonna pack," she muttered, and headed upstairs.

Aldana took a moment to pick up. "Al, text the lads. We're meeting at Logan tomorrow seven a.m."

"What happened?"

"We're going to Akron."

.

.

Keep reading on the next episode: BLACKBIRD 25 - the chair