Epilogue

Joey moved quietly around the rear area of the extended cab. He glanced anxiously at Owen as the man slept soundly on the bed, one leg kicked out from beneath the sleeping bag and his full muscular torso exposed. Joey picked up his light-blue Levi's and slipped them on, making as little noise as possible.

His eyes felt thick and puffy from crying in his sleep. Each time he'd awaken, he'd been clinging to Owen. He didn't know why the man let him do that—Owen's purpose for giving him a ride was to fuck him, nothing more. Joey had expected to be sent on his way as soon as they had finished having sex. But Owen had offered him his bed for the night, and in turn—the comfort of his presence.

He didn't know what to make of Owen, but he liked him. And he didn't want to. He didn't want to like anyone. Not for a long time. Maybe never again. While fucking Owen, everything concerning Doug had gone away, faded into the background. When they had finished...it came back with crushing force. He would need another "fix" soon. Another intense fuck to dull the hurt, ease the heartache. But not with Owen; he was dangerous. Something in him pulled at Joey, beckoned to him. If he stayed, he would become attached. And ultimately—hurt again...when Owen finally decided he didn't want him anymore.

If Doug could fool him, anyone could. Joey wouldn't allow himself to be fooled again.

He pulled on his shirt then his jacket, sat down and tugged on his socks and shoes. He had to get out of here before Owen woke up. Joey didn't trust himself to have the strength to walk away if Owen decided he wanted him to stay. Right now, everything hurt too much and he was too vulnerable; a caring invitation would be more than he could resist.

Making sure his wallet was in his pocket, Joey started to crawl into the front of the cab then paused and looked back. In his sleep, Owen breathed deep and released the air through his nostrils. Joey moved slowly toward the bed and knelt beside the sleeping man.

"Thank you," he whispered. "For making me feel real again...if only for a little while." He hesitated then very lightly kissed Owen's lips. "Goodbye, Owen."

The passenger door closed softly, the latch catching quietly.

Owen opened his eyes and stared at the underside of the cab roof. Dawn had hardly begun to seep in, the morning sky just a deep charcoal gray at the horizon and still black as night up top. He pushed back the sleeping bag, sat forward and dropped his feet to the soft carpeting. Resting his elbows on his knees, he stared out the front windshield and watched Joey walking away, back toward the paved road, barely more than a shadow among the shadows.

Owen slid his tongue over his lower lip, tasting Joey's goodbye kiss.

He'd known the boy would leave before daylight; before Owen woke up. The kid already liked him too much—after just a few hours—it had been right there in Joey's eyes, lingering behind the pain and confusion and anger. Joey had been aware of it, too—hence his early, silent departure. The hurt inside him was too great; he was terrified of caring for someone else so soon—even just a little.

It was best this way—for them both. Owen had never been prone to such emotions as these, but he'd never met anyone quite like Joey before now. Should he consider it a weakness, that his steadfast heart could be swayed by the pain and tears of a beautiful young man?

No answer came to him and he let it go.

Owen leaned forward into the front of the cab and scooped his cell phone off the dash then sat back down on the bed, his naked skin prickling from the morning chill. He made his call and pressed the device to his ear, his gaze resting on Joey until he disappeared around the short bend in the dirt road and into the lingering darkness.

"Hey," he spoke quietly into the cell, a rasp to his voice. He rubbed his face and ran his hand through his hair. "He's headed your way. You can't miss him." He blinked as an uncharacteristic sting burned his eyes. "Just look for the beautiful white-haired angel...with the broken halo."

____________________________________

COMING SOON:  "BROKEN HALO" (part 2)

NOTE:  Part 2 will be posted separately, not within this same thread.