First Date pt. 2

"And your total is $13.61 today," The cashier said.

I reached down to pull out my wallet when I felt and arm wrap around me. Stiffening, I looked back to see that it was Scott, instantly calming me. He slid cash across the counter, smiling. "Here."

"Scooter-"

"No, Da Vinci," he responded, looking down at me. "Let me, okay?"

Sighing, I gave in. "Fine. Just this once though." Chuckling, he took the change. "Not a chance."

"What?" I questioned, stepping aside and taking my bag as he slid his three item across the counter.

"Mitch, if you couldn't tell, I'm kinda old fashioned," He explained, smiling softly at me.

"Old fashioned how?" I asked, pursing my lips.

Laughing, Scott replied, "Old fashioned in the way that at least for the first date everything is on me, that I'll hold open doors and pull out your chair," he told me. I raised an eyebrow, making him continue. "It's how my parents raised me, okay?"

I smiled, thinking back to words my father had told me on my eighteenth birthday.

"Mitch, just listen to me for a little bit," he said, squeezing my hands as I sat across from him. "You're a man now, and one day you'll want to find the right man. It might take time, but that's okay. Just...remember, he should treat you like how I treat your mother. It may seemed old fashioned, but it means he cares about you, that he wants the best for you. If he pays for your dinner, that means he wants to treat you like a prince. If he holds the doors open for you, that means he puts you first. If he pulls out your chair, that means he wants to make sure you're taken care of first. None of those things are bad, okay? Remember that, for me."

At the time, I hadn't known why, but it had stuck with me. Now I knew why, and I was grateful for the words he had said.

Because Scott was the first man to really treat me like this.

Nodding at him, I smiled. "Okay, I can deal with that. But eventually I will pay for dinner, got it?"

Scott laughed again, raising an "eyebrow" as he paid for his three items. "So, fifteen minutes ago there wasn't going to be a second date, but now there will be?" He asked. "These are confusing signals, Mitchell."

I laughed, shrugging. "Gay men are confusing, Scooter. I thought you knew." He continued to laugh, thanking the cashier before we both walked out. "Oh, I do. But that's not gonna stop me."

I bit my lip, feeling the butterflies in my stomach grow at his words. "Good to know," I said softly, glancing at him as we made our way back to the car.

-/::\-

Scott glanced down at Mitch as he turned into him more, his eyes locked onto the screen. They were watching his movie currently, and Scott was using his perfect memory of it to watch Mitch.

They had agreed on pizza for dinner, finding a great little place to grab some in town before making their way back to the set. They hadn't run into anyone on their way to his trailer, which helped Scott's nerves. Most people went back for the weekend, which he was extremely grateful for.

But as the movie played, Mitch was engrossed in it. Scott was engrossed in him. He felt comfortable with Mitch, more comfortable than he had felt with a guy in a long long time. A year ago, with any other guy, Scott would be sweating buckets in this situation. But with Mitch...he was more relaxed than he had been all week.

They were laying on Scott's bed, the tv situated at a good angle and the pizza sitting nearby. At first they sat sat shoulder to shoulder, but before Scott knew it, Mitch was curled into his side, his arm around his waist, the two more slouched against the pillows than at first.

What Scott couldn't get out of his mind though, was at how right it felt. With how they were situated, how they were...cuddling basically, it almost felt like they had been doing this for months, if they had been together for months.

Scott couldn't help but remember words his mother had told him when he was young.

"Momma, how did you know Daddy was the one?" A seven year old Scott had asked.

She laughed, turning away from the soapy sink to look at him. "What do you mean, sweetie?" She responded.
"How did you know you would marry Daddy?" Scott asked, looking up at his mother.

Smiling softly, she kneeled in front of her son, reaching up and stroking his hair. "Scott, when I first met your father, everything felt right," she said softly.

"Right?" He echoed.

She nodded, continuing, "I didn't have to act a certain way, or say anything specific, sweetie. You'll know what I mean when you're older."

"But what if I don't?" he asked, growing worried.

She laughed, smiling. "You will."

Now looking down at Mitch in his arms, he wondered if this what what his mother had described all those years ago.

-/::\-

Mitch's POV

I laughed softly, turning to Scott as we both stood at the door to my trailer. "You didn't have to walk me to my trailer, Scooter."

"I wanted to," he replied, smiling. I bit my lip, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks. "I had a lot of fun today," I said softly.

"Me too," he replied, rubbing the back of his neck. "It went better than I thought it would."

Laughing softly, I commented, "You set the bar pretty high for our next date."

"Next date?" He echoed, his eyes growing wide.

I nodded, stepping forward towards him. Scott didn't move as I kissed the corner of his lips, meeting my eyes as I pulled away. "Goodnight, Scott."

He smiled slowly, stepping back as he replied. "Goodnight, Mitch."

Stepping into my trailer, I glanced out the door. I met Scott's eyes as he backed away, smiling at him before shutting my door.

Biting my lip as a beam grew on my face, I fell back onto my bed, giggling. Covering my face, I cursed softly, knowing that Scott wouldn't be leaving my mind any time soon.