Pranks and Birthdays

As You Desire Me

© Anna Hailings-Sharma 2011

Pranks and Birthdays

“Elie! Elie wake up!” my mother’s voice came from the end of a long tunnel. I groaned. Not again!

“Ugh! Go away!” came my muffled voice as I swatted away her hand when she tried to pull my blanket off me.

“Come on birthday girl, wakey-wakey!” she started in a sing-song voice. Suddenly, my mind cleared. That was the tone she used before she did something. Oh crap! I tried to get up but before I could even think my blanket was taken or rather ripped from me while I was doused with ice cold water.

“Ahh!” I’m pretty sure half of the city heard my scream but at this point I was beyond caring.

“Smile sis!” I heard Jake say in a cherry voice before I caught a click. He freaking took my picture! I jumped off the bed, ready to take off after them but as soon as I abandoned my bed I started shivering with my teeth chattering.

“God! It’s inhuman!” I muttered as I changed my direction and stumbled into my bathroom instead. “I will not leave youfor this!” I called and heard their laughter. Finally when I was clean and warm I decided to get some payback. I left my bathroom only to find my room squeaky clean. Aside from the mattress-less bed, there was nothing that could indicate that a stunt had been pulled on an innocent girl just a few minutes ago. I sighed in irritation. I love my family, but there are days like this when they made me want to kill them. Suddenly Renegade by Styx started blasting from my phone. I answered immediately.

Happy Birthday Elie!” Haley, my cousin sister, practically screamed from the other end.

“Thanks Haley!” I replied, a grin already forming on my face. Even though she was two years elder than me, her actions could be as immature as that of a five-year-old. But when it comes down to it, she’s always there when you need her the most.

“So, how did she wake you up this year?” My mom is infamous for waking us up on our birthday with pranks.

“She dumped a bucket of ice-cold water over my head.” I said dryly. She started laughing. “Glad my misery could provide you with some entertainment.” In response, she started laughing even more. I rolled my eyes. “I’m hanging up!” I mock threatened her.

Oh shush! Lighten up a little!” she teased knowing it’ll rile me up even more.

“Next time when she’ll douse you with cold water in the middle of freaking December, then I’ll ask you to lighten up!” I replied with heavy sarcasm. That set her off again. I huffed. Just then, someone knock at my door. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion. Only dad knew the meaning of privacy in this house and I know for certain that he has already left for work. I slowly crept towards the door.

“Elie!” Rose called from the other end; I jumped in surprise but regained my balance just in time.

“Uh, come in!” I called awkwardly. Almost immediately the door swung open to reveal Roseanna Delafield in all her glory. She smiled and rushed forward to embrace me.

“Happy Birthday Elie!” she said softly. I smiled.

“Thanks Rosie.” I whispered as I hugged her harder.

“Rosie? And what about me?” came a voice from the door. I released Rose only to come face to face with Alyson Kesling.

“Come here!” I said as I opened my arms for her. She practically flew towards me. Had it not been for Rose steadying me, we both would’ve ended up sprawled on the floor.