Chapter 1: "Thank god for tinted windows"

“Why does he always have to make us get up so bloody early?” Louis whined while looking out the window. We got up at 6 am today for a very important meeting I guess, well that’s what Simon said and from the billions of texts from management it was crucial we were on time.

“It’s like they’re against us sleeping.” Liam added. I leaned against the window and closed my eyes. The car ride was quiet and peaceful mainly because we were half asleep.

“We’re here, remember best behavior boys.” Paul warned as we all got out of the car.

The elevator ride was quiet, if we weren’t dead tired we would have been bouncing off the walls. We get off on a floor with glass walls and see through offices, at the end of the floor is the office we all have come to be familiar with. It was our conference room but this time there was a girl sitting outside accompanied by a guy with a punk rock edge.

Her legs were shaking as she was hunched over supporting herself on her thighs, she reminded me of the way we looked like the day of X-Factor…nervous. The guy looked at us and nudge the girl in the shoulder. She looked up from her hands to him when he nods to us making her sit straight, her eyes are red but the blue catches my eyes more.

Her pin straight hair and bangs gave a vibe of goth but she was pretty. She looked back down as we entered the room, we sat but I kept my eyes on her.

“Niall are you paying attention?” I averted my view back to Steve, he’s apart of management, and nodded

“Look with a new tour coming up, we are thinking of a new addition.” He started

“Boys we need you to have an open mind.” Simon added

“We want to add a 6th member.” As soon as the words left his mouth tension built.

“What!?”

“Are you mad?”

“Why!?”

“NO! Absolutely not.”

I just stayed quiet, what more could I say that they haven’t already said.

“We don’t need one more; no we won’t have any of it.” Louis was having the biggest fit out of all of us.

“It’s for the best.” Steve added, he was only adding to the problem.

“No we don’t need one we’re fine! Our fans love us the way we are and only the 5 of us. We’ve come this far, 3 years with just us and that’s how we like it!” Louis was more pissed than I thought.

“Decision has already been made and contracts been signed. You go public with this in a week so you’ll have time to get to know each other.” This is ridiculous we don’t need another person.

“Send them in.” Simon waved to the man standing at the door. He opened the door and the 2 people we saw outside stood up. The guy walked in first with his hand held to the girl.

Great our member will be an ass and looks like one of the fan edits of us. By the looks of it we were all thinking that.

“Harry, Niall, Louis, Liam, and Zayn meet the new official 6th member of One Direction.” The pause was really unnecessary, “This is Cara Streight. After this meeting she will be joining you at the flat. You are excused now.”

“A bloody girl!” Louis yelled getting up angrily and swung open the door, he stopped before he left and turned to her.

“Don’t think because we don’t have any say in this we want you here, don’t count on getting off easy just because you’re a girl.” Louis said, he rolled his eyes and left as we followed without a word.

We joined Louis in the car, “That was harsh Lou.” I said, it really was she looked scared.

“I know but they can’t just play with the band like some lab rat experiment.” That was the last thing said, Cara walked out with the guy next to her she was walking faster than him till he grabbed her forearm and yanked her back.

“You guys look.” I said as they all peered out the window at the 2. Thank god for tinted windows, she couldn’t see us.

She tried to yank her arm away and you can see he was hurting her. He told her something in her ear, she winced and nodded. He let go of her arm and grabbed her hand and walks with her to the truck behind us.

 The whole ride home was quiet; every so often I glanced back to the car she was in. We arrived a couple minutes later at the flat we are renting. We hurried inside, Louis went to his room probably to have another fit, Zayn did the same probably to go back to sleep, Liam followed. Harry and I stayed in the living room wide awake, but slightly to meet the new member.

She walked in with a black bag that hung low to her thigh. She gave us one look and looked down and sniffled.

“Excuse me.” The guy said, we walked towards him, “Uh where is our room?”

“I’ll show you, but I’m Niall do you mind having a chat?” I was mainly talking to her but he seemed to be the only one with a mouth. He nodded and I led them to the living room.

I and Harry sat on the couch in front of them. It was like an awkward silence.

“So…um how did you end up being our 6th member?” Harry finally asked.

“W-,” She went to open up her mouth but the guy interrupted.

“She was playing at a gig in New York and the guy who was talking, Steve I think, came up to us after her show and said they had a job for her so we just went with it.” Yep sounds like something management would do.

“What do you sing?” I asked, somehow she knew she wouldn’t be able to answer so she looked down.

“Pop indie, pop, almost anything.” He said, out of the corner of my eye I saw Liam come out. He plopped down next to me.

“So Cara right,” Liam started, “How old are you?” she looked up to Liam

“She’s 18.” Ugh I’m getting fed up with his mouth.

“Excuse me but I think he asked her.” Louis came in out of nowhere and sat on the arm rest. “What’s your name anyways?” the guy stood up with his hand clenched onto hers tugging her up with him.

“It’s Brendon and I think it’s time we get to our room.” he started to walk away dragging her along till,

“Stop! Stop it let go.” He stopped and turned to us. He let go of her hand and leaned into her ear. “Sorry.” Was all she said before she reached for his hand and reconnected them. When they left we didn’t know what to say but I guess Louis did.

“Great, an asshole for a boyfriend.”

The rest of the day they stayed in their room. We ordered a pizza and on the last slice I knocked on the door.

“Cara there’s a slice of pizza.” I said through the door.

“N-no thank you I’m not hungry, good night.” She said shakingly. I swear my stomach is in knots and it’s putting me on edge.