1. Aria

New York City isn't the worst place for crimes. At least not according to the ratings of all cities in America. There are crimes committed, yes, but not nearly as many as others think. But that's only because most crimes take place in the eyes of the supernatural. Mortals can't see or hear what goes on in the hidden nature around them. That's a good thing though.

The supernatural isn't always fun and thrilling like "fantasy" claims it to be. There are symbols. And sometimes those who become part of the supernatural can't see it for themselves. Not right away at least. Sometimes that's the worst part. I watch people change into something that should be impossible. They are sucked into a life that's complicated. A life that has to be kept a secret. They completely become part of another world.

This is my world. My job is to protect mortals from invading... creatures. That's what I call them anyway. Even though I'm one of them. Yes, I fight against my own kind. Sometimes. As much as I hate to do it, my city and its citizens are far more important. That's what I've told myself over and over for the past few decades. Being immortal has its perks, yet I'd give anything to be a regular mortal once again.

Tonight I stood on the edge of a building in the cool night of New York City. But it was far from quiet. Sirens wailed, and I knew what they were after. My ears picked up every sound within a five mile radius. The dispatch from the police station said someone had called in to report a car shooting a few blocks away. They have the car's license plate number and were in pursuit. The sirens neared and I saw the shooter drive by in his car. The police vehicles soon followed, lights flashing on the street below.

However, I wasn't after the man on the run from the police. Tonight I was looking for someone much more dangerous, and unfortunately, much more sneaky. He was fast, quiet, and smart, but not too smart if he decided to invade and threatened my territory.

I crouched down trying to hide myself from any surrounding source of light. Not that it would make too much of a difference, but I had to concentrate. My body sat perfectly still. One by one I went through the many sounds in this part of the city. I told my mind to listen for fast, quiet steps. I heard sirens, car horns, subway trains, the footsteps of people walking home from a late day at work, people talking, dogs barking, stray cats trying to find shelter for the night, homeless people begging for money, music playing, TVs. Yes I heard all of this at once but was able to decipher each one in particular. It takes years of practice to separate all noises from one another, but it is possible. Once my mind processed and separated them, I was able to locate the sound of quiet running. I focused harder. It was coming from three blocks away.

I jumped off the roof and into the now quiet street below. Then my pursuit proceeded yet again. I'd been tracking the intruder for three days. For some reason, I can never catch him. He always made sure to keep out of the light and avoid me at all costs. Really, all I had to go on for tracking him was footsteps and his scent.

Once I reach the block where I had last heard him, my nose took over. His scent was fresh here. This would make it a little easier to track him. Running through streets and alleyways, I thought of the mortals that may be walking alone tonight. There had been mysterious murders the past few days. The police were baffled by the murderer because all they could find were bite marks on the victims' necks. The only logical explanation they could come up with was a large and dangerous stray dog, which was absurd, but it was better than the truth.

The truth was this: a vampire decided to invade my city and kill for the one thing we all desire most. But blood wasn't the only thing that could keep us alive. However, the vampire I was tracking didn't care if he was making national news. The only thing this guy seemed to care about was satisfying his desire for mortal blood: the one substance that made us stronger. I had to stop him.