7. Aria

A/N: Warning: mild mature content.

_________________________________________

I sat on the edge of Eric's bed, listening to his heart beat. I would never admit it to his face but the sound calmed me down. It made me feel mortal sometimes.

Feel. I let that prick of a rogue touch me just to get answers. Yes, I was reckless and stupid for not obeying my brother but I did get some answers. "I found out his name," I said after too many long moments of silence. "Not that it matters too much now."

Eric slouched in the leather chair behind his desk. "Did you find out anything else?"

"Yeah. He said that his employer was anonymous and that you and I are targets."

Eric released a heavy sigh. "What was his name?"

"Braedon."

He paused. "Anything else?"

I swallowed. "He was after a mortal."

Eric sat up straight. "A mortal? Why would he be hired to target a mere mortal?"

I shrugged. "But I know who it is."

Eric only nodded.

"Uncle Marx put me in charge of babysitting the guy. But now that the rogue is dead do you think he still needs to be watched?"

Eric sighed. "For now."

I groaned and toppled backwards onto Eric's bed.

He git up feim his chair then walked over to his windows, closing the curtains. "Go put some clothes on."

I looked down at my body, only then remembering what I was wearing. I got up and walked to the door.

Eric said, "Wait." I stopped but didn't want to face him. "Did he do anything to you?"

I knew what he meant. Turning to face him, I looked him in the eyes. "No. But I think he would have had you not come when you did."

Eric only nodded.

The following silence was my cue for dismissal. I silently closed his door and walked across the hall to my chambers.

I closed my door and locked it, wanting total privacy for the next few hours. Now that classes for the semester were done I had some free time.

I sucked in a breath. Then chuckled. Privacy indeed. "I should have known you were actually going to be waiting in my chambers, Damian."

I turned to see him sitting on the edge of my bed, his thick arms folded over his broad chest. "Of course I'm going to check on you after what that prick did."

I leaned against my door. "Wow. The news traveled a little slow today."

He chuckled. "You know that Eric's thoughts can be loud enough for me to hear. Even when he doesn't mean to shout it out I can still hear him."

The head members of the clan all had special powers. Damian was able to read minds. I was able to persuade. Eric was able to manipulate. Marx had strength. Such strength that he was able to resist other vampire's powers at times.

I cocked my head and folded my arms under my breasts. "And yet you didn't think to assist my brother when he even so much as yelled my name."

Damian's gaze flickered south for a moment but he regained himself. "You know the cells are riddled in magic. It prevents me from hearing anything on the other side. Even mind reading. But Eric's thoughts were loud and clear the moment you two walked out of the dungeons."