1: Beginnings

The whole classroom stared at Graceyn Shepard.  She was undeterred.

“It’s just that… Anna Karenina is a completely uninspiring heroine!  She whines for 800 pages then commits suicide.  For that time period she has all the luxuries of life handed to her.  She’s beautiful.  She has more than one man who loves her.  But instead of appreciating any of it, instead of embracing the gifts of her life, she destroys it all and ultimately herself!  You know, if Anna was the image of a female heroine of the time, it’s no wonder it took another 100 years before women were allowed to fight in the military.”  Shepard made a face of disgust and slouched back down in her desk.

The teacher couldn’t help but smile inwardly at this remarkable, precocious girl.  She’s not long for this planet, that’s for sure.  Cognizant, however, that she was still teaching a class full of unruly 13 year olds, she instead said “But Graceyn, can you at least admit that Anna went through a number of very difficult and challenging experiences in her life?”

Shepard frowned, eyes narrowed.  “Doesn’t everyone?  That’s no excuse for – ”  The bell rang, cutting off what she thought was a perfectly valid argument. 

As she gathered her books and headed out the door Riley approached her.  “Hey, want to come over this evening and study Algebra?”

Riley was her boyfriend – despite the fact that her parents insisted 13 year-old girls did not have boyfriends.  Okay, fine.  He was mostly her friend, but they had kissed a few times – more so recently.  It was awkward and fumbling but they were getting better at it.  Riley was smart and funny, if unremarkably normal in the looks department, which was fine with Shepard; all the really cute boys were stuck-up and obnoxious.  “Sure!” she smiled broadly, letting go the contemptible Anna Karenina. 

***

“What are you watching?  I thought we were studying Algebra.”

“It’s this show about a vampire, only he’s good and honorable.  Well, most of the time.”  Riley had a thing for late 20th century “TV” vids.  For the life of her she couldn’t figure out why.  The modern world was much more interesting.

She sighed.  “What about that Stargate show?  At least it had space travel and other planets and aliens.”

Riley shot her an exasperated look over his shoulder.  “That show’s boring.  We can already do all that stuff, there’s no mystery.  But vampires could be REAL!”  He lunged over the couch, clawed hand reaching towards her face menacingly.  She giggled, dodged his hand effortlessly, and plopped down next to him.  On the vid a teenage girl ran around her bedroom packing her clothes while two adults looked on disapprovingly.

“Is that one of the main characters?”

“Nah, though she’s a regular.  You know, she kind of reminds me of you…”

Shepard raised an eyebrow at him.  “What?  She’s got long brown hair and is scrawny!”

“Yeah…” Riley replied thoughtfully.  “You are prettier than her.”  Shepard tried not to giggle, instead plastering a look of curiosity on her face.  “Is that so?”

“Well, yeah.  I mean, you – ”

“Rewind it” Shepard interrupted.

“Okaaaaay” Riley frowned.

On the vid the girl turned to the older man with a look of exasperation and said “Dad, I love you like pancakes, but I’m getting the hell outta here!” and resumed packing.

Shepard flashed a half-smile and her face took on a thoughtful, faraway look that made her seem aged well beyond her young years.  Riley never could figure out that look.