Chapter 18

Valerie grinned at waved at the tower top, seeing faint movement that was the children waving back. She turned back towards Isaac and Miette, both standing by the path leading to the road they needed. A path that hadn’t been there yesterday. Things like that, the copper medallions they all wore to keep them safe and the fact he’d enchanted their bags to make them lighter made her glad they’d come to Enax. Add in the fact that he was interesting, funny, and equal-minded, and she was tempted to see if he’d move into the palace after this was over. Provided they were alive in the end.

            The magician had had some last minute advice for all of them, things he told each of them in private. When it had been her turn, he’d given Valerie a look that reminded her of her father at his sternest. “You are going to have the hardest time of this. And you’re going to have to be the strongest. There are going to be times when you will have to let innocents suffer because of you so you had best harden your heart now. People are searching for you now and they’re not likely to soon stop. If you are found, there is no hope for getting the palace back. No don’t look at me like that,” he’d snapped when her brows contracted over her eyes. “You are the only free royalty they have and the Armithian army is well known for its loyalty. They will follow no one else. And you’re the only one who will be able to break whatever enchantment your prince has been put under. If you die or are captured, he will be trapped forever. Remember that.”

            Val shivered at the memory despite the warmth of the sun overhead. As much as she hated to admit it, Enax was right. And if she ever wanted to see Darren again…well she’d do her best not to think about what was happening to other people.

            Isaac misinterpreted her shiver. “Relax. They’ll be fine. How much trouble can they get up to at a witch’s house?”

          “You forget that there are a number of fairy tales involving witches eating children,” she replied, leading the way down the path.

            Isaac chuckled. “Point. But I don’t think either of those kids is going to Hansel and Gretel it. For one, they’re not siblings. Two, they’re not stupid enough to eat a candy house. Three, given what we’ve been teaching them they’d probably kick the witch’s face in if she tried anything.”

            Miette shook her head. “Rhia is very nice. And she likes children. She has three of her own and I am certain she will enjoy having four more. She has long threatened to steal any child of mine away for a visit at least once a year. The children could not be safer. They will have the protection of a powerful witch and if they become well acquainted with her children, they will have three more guardians.”

            Valerie smiled. “I’m sure they’ll be friends in minutes. I only hope she’s not too angry about whatever mischief Cavyle and Bayon cook up between them that they get their children involved in. Or worse yet, whatever Senera thinks of. She’s worse than the other two combined when she has an idea.”

            “Regardless, they’re safe. So you don’t need to worry about them. You have enough other things to worry about,” Isaac said as he leaned down to scoop up a long stick.

            “You’re right. Now how long did Enax say it’ll take us to reach Berrymeet?”

            “We should reach the village by noon. He said that the invaders have not yet reached much beyond the capital. They are too concerned with…they have other things to mind,” Miette said, staring up at the blue jay that had fluttered to a landing overhead.

            Valerie sighed. They were concerned all right. Concerned with catching her. They walked in silence for a time. Well almost silence. Isaac was filling their quiet with loud whistling. When they said nothing after the first half hour, he began whistling songs to make Valerie blush. It took him whistling “Get Low” to make her glare, cheeks pink. “You’re not funny.”

            “To the window,” he sang. “To the wall. Till the sweat drip down my-”

            He was cut off by Valerie’s shout and the pinecone she hurled at him. “You’re horrible. Besides, you’ll corrupt poor Miette. She’s innocent unlike you.”

            “Not that innocent,” he replied with a grin, remembering the unicorn conversation.

            “If I did not know better, I would swear that you two were lovers,” Miette said, chuckling.

            “I would shoot myself first,” Val said with feeling. “He’s bad enough as a best friend but as a boyfriend? Dear god.”

            “No worries sweetie. You’re missing some important equipment for me to be interested. And besides, you are way too spicy for my taste. I like a bit more sweetness in my partners. I have wished Darren luck with you before. He certainly needs it.”

            The glare she levelled at him swiftly faded as she began thinking about Darren. She had no idea if he really was alive, just hope. She could deal with him asleep or even as a frog. If all she had to do was kiss him better then she’d do it without complaint. But if he was hurt or seriously trapped or…not safe, she would ensure that every last person responsible suffered until they died.

            Isaac took in her face, which had gone flat and the lines on it hard, and her eyes, which were ablaze again and sighed. He knew better then to mention Darren. It only set her off again. So much for distracting her. Seeing her anger and worry made his own flare in response. He shoved it back down and fixed a smile on his face. It was time to distract them. And maybe this time he’d be able to distract himself as well. “I bet you that we find the unicorns but they refuse to have anything to do with us because we are, collectively, soiled goods.”

            Her sudden stumble paired with the way her head jerked up meant he’d gotten Valerie’s attention. Now all he had to do was make sure it stayed on the light paths he laid out. “I don’t even think a virgin intermediary will help us. And if he’s a pretty man well… I can’t make any guarantees he’ll stay a virgin for long.”