Epilogue

Mid-morning sunlight shone through the window, picking up the sparkly bits in the pink stone of the waiting room. Soft green curtains were blown by a light spring breeze, matching the two cushioned chairs that stood by the window. The room was empty except for two people.

Valerie sighed and fingered the thread that she could pull out, causing her skirt to fall away and revealing the pants underneath. Miette caught her at it. One finger out that she shook at the taller woman, her other wrapped around her protruding stomach, she glared at Valerie. “Do not dare, Val! I will not have a repeat of the incident with the Unsupani ambassador.”

She sighed, and smoothed her hands down the white skirt embroidered in gold and overlaid with lace. “It looks like you’ve got the angry mom finger shake down. You’re clearly ready for your baby any time. And besides, you know I only did that because he wouldn’t stop with the proper lady comments.”

Miette’s glare intensified. “That was no reason to challenge him to a duel. You nearly caused an international scandal.”

Valerie grinned. “That was the beauty of it. He’d never say anything because then he’d have to admit I beat him. It was perfect.”

A knock at the door cut off further argument, the pursing of Miette’s lips having promised it. Valerie jerked it open to reveal a grinning Isaac, looking handsome in green and white embroidered with his personal device of a rooster. He wore a long sword at his hip and had mischief in his eyes. Then he got a proper look at Val and whistled low. “Nice Mi. You managed to make her look like someone who hasn’t spent the last two years dragging their feet over this.”

Valerie’s hands dropped to her hips. “I wasn’t dragging my feet. We were busy. First there was clean-up after the war, then rebuilding the army and the palace, then there was the eastern rebellion. Then Darren finally asked, and then we had to wait a whole year because of the stupid tradition.”

“And the last year was what?”

Her chin rose as her cheeks went pink. “I had some things to settle first.”

He would have pushed her further but a puff of purple smoke appeared to their side, disappearing to reveal Darren’s godmother, dressed in a ball gown of shimmering lavender. “Tinka,” he said. “It’s good to see you.”

She smiled. “Isaac. I had thought you were waiting in the hall.”

“Nah, I’m Val’s escort to this,” he replied, grinning.

The godmother turned to Valerie who nodded. “Satinka.”

She returned the nod. “Valerie.”

The silence stretched for a long moment. Isaac rolled his eyes. “I really wish you two would stop being so damn stubborn and just learn to get along.”

Satinka nodded again and pulled out a plain silver ring which she held out to Val. “Your present. Turn it three times to the left and it brings you to the palace. Three turns to the right will take you to your family home.”

She took it carefully, staring at it. Then she looked up. “Thank you. Sincerely, thank you. I…you really shouldn’t have…”

The godmother snorted slightly. “You have done well by this country and its people. Regardless of our relationship. For that, this is at least part of what I owe you.” Then she disappeared in another puff of smoke.

“See, she can be nice,” Isaac said, stretching his arms out in front of him.

“No, it’s her being civil. We’ve both been like that since our truce.”