She was my Granddaughter

Ren, very annoyingly, would not let me out of his sights for the next few days. Which didn't help the fact I was trying to forget the nightmarish vision I had experienced. Lucille wasn't much help either, she kept warning me to stay away from anything that looked magical.

"This is what you get for talking to witches." She tsked. "You can't keep doing this Galia, the next town we come to, we're keeping you on a leash."

"Nooooooo." I groaned. "That probably had nothing to do with the fact I asked for some friendly advice, from a person, who just happened to be a witch."

"We're not splitting up this time, okay?" Ren half demanded, half asked.

I hissed at him, but he was serious.

"Guys I'm fine." I tried to convince them. "That pond was just trying to trick me, I've gotten over it."

Lucille turned on me. "What you saw in that pond was real, it really happened."

My stomach did a flip. "It was, there really is a unicorn out there who-"

I shuddered, hugging myself, suddenly feeling very cold. Ren put a hand on my shoulder, but I shrugged it off, glaring at him.

"What town are coming to next?" I asked, changing the subject.

"A small village called Greda, it's widely known for the fact a unicorn visited here once, a very old and powerful one." Lucille informed.

"Oh really."  I barked sarcastically. "Well excuse me if if I'm not bursting with joy I haven't exactly had the best expirence with unicorns have I?"

    "Galia, are you okay?" Ren asked, he was staring at me with his huge blue eyes.

    "I'm fine." I snapped, trying to quell my shaking fists, what had gotten into me lately?

    Ren was obviously unconvinced. "Just take it easy okay, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask."

    "I said I'm fine. Renatus." It slipped out before I could truly think about what I was saying.

    Ren winced and looked down, and I cringed knowing I had probably bruised his fragile heart. Although this feeling quickly evaporated when I saw the look Lucille was giving me. Deep in her cold black eyes I got the feeling if I stepped out of line she wouldn't hesitate to put me back in my place. I shivered slightly.

    "Hey Ren-" I started, trying to apologize.

    "No it's alright, I get the point, you don't want my help." He replied stubbornly.

    I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt. The fact that my rude personality had finally tipped him over the edge made me feel terrible. Why was I like this? I didn't want to hurt anyone. Why did Lucille look like she wanted to murder me?

    "We're here." Lucille announced, here voice monotonous, I couldn't tell what she was feeling.

    I looked up to see a collection of buildings ahead of us. They looked fairly normal at first.

    Then my heart dropped right into my stomach.

    The houses were burned.    

    As we passed them all I could see were either black splintering walls, the insides equally charred, or not even a full house, just a few ebony jagged foundation standing weak in a pile of ash. As we walked my feet began to get dirtier and dirtier as the ash we waded through got thicker and thicker. Not to mention the suffocating stench of force decay, I felt like vomiting.