17

Calum and Luke arrived home half an hour after they left. Calum held the door for Luke and they stepped in and Luke suddenly released a squeal.

"What?" Calum said.

"I'm just excited! I know I've said it fifty times on the way home but I can't believe we finally found them. Michael was really nice and Ashton seems cool too. It's crazy I've been here for so long and it took me this long to find any of you."

Calum just nodded. "They seemed all right, didn't they."

"Yeah. I think Michael and I are already friends maybe." He kicked off his shoes by the door.

Calum looked at him and didn't say anything.

Luke briefly thought of when Calum had said that putting the bottle in the coffee table drawer was a good idea. He thought about how Calum said they had to go home because he had something planned. Was it...? He cleared his throat a little. "Didn't you think when—"

"Let's talk more after we get dinner started."

"Dinner?" Oh. Okay. He really liked cooking with Calum so...okay.

"Mhm."

"It's only just after three."

"Yes, but our soup simmers for two hours."

"Ooh. What kind?"

"Beef and vegetable."

"Yay! Chopping."

Calum did his little smile. "And we're baking our own bread, too."

Luke grinned. "Really? Like from scratch?"

Calum nodded.

"I've never ever done that before."

"Well, we're not grinding our own wheat but."

Luke bounced on his toes. "No, that's fine. We get to knead the dough and stuff."

"Want to start now?"

Luke nodded. They went into the kitchen.

Another half hour later and all their carrots and celery and onions and peppers and potatoes and beef were minced and chopped and sliced thin and put into the pot with stock and seasoning and a little tomato juice and set to simmer. Luke was amazed that he hadn't cut himself, and he'd only spilled twice, flushing red both times and insisting he clean up, and then doing a terrible job of it and being followed by Calum with a towel and cleaner. They scraped their cutting boards and washed their knives, and cleaned everything to the point that the kitchen looked like they hadn't even touched it yet, save for the one pot on the stove.

"Very nice," Luke said, looking around, and put his hands on his hips.

Calum agreed with a nod. "Bread time."

"Yesss." Luke's mind and body had the sudden urge to step over and kiss Calum again. But with what happened before they talked to Michael and Ashton, the little sort-of-argument they had, he wasn't so sure that was a good idea. And when he'd nearly cried and said that he wished Calum liked him, Calum hadn't really made him feel any better. But why was he thinking about it? It only brought him down. No. He was having a good time right now and he wasn't going to let his own thoughts ruin it. "What can I do to start?"