Chapter 20

Lieutenant Harbid turned away from the scene in front of him, feeling waves of nausea flowing through him. He hated this, despised it and himself for being a part of it. It was part of his job, his duty to the Human Empire, but that didn't make this any easier. The interrogator leaned forward, bringing his face closer to the shengyet strapped onto the interrogation table.

"Just tell me what I want to know and the pain stops," he said softly.

The shengyet spat something vicious sounding in his language.

The interrogator sighed resignedly and pushed a button on the table's control panel. The shengyet screamed and twitched. The interrogator pushed another button increasing the pain still further. Suddenly the shengyet began shaking, convulsing violently.

"Oh damn!"

The interrogator pushed another button and the shengyet lay still. He checked the readings on the table's monitor.

"Sorry sir," he said turning to Harbid.

"He's dead, it happens sometimes with the really stubborn ones."

"So all this was for nothing?" Harbid bit out.

"Sorry sir," the man repeated.

"Not much we can do with the really stubborn ones, but we've got plenty more to choose from."

"That will be all for now," said Harbid.

"I thought the Vice-Admiral wanted-."

"That will be all," Harbid cut him off.

Lieutenant Harbid staggered out of the room, trying valiantly not to be sick. He made it to his quarters and managed to get his face over the sink before vomiting. He turned on the tap to wash away the mess and splash cold water over his face. There was a gentle knock on his door, He dried his face with the towel hanging next to the sink.

"Come in."

The door slid open to reveal Ensign Smith. She entered the room looking concerned.

"Are you all right James?" She asked as the door slid shut behind her.

Harbid tried to arrange his face into what he hoped was an impassive expression.

"I'm fine Ensign."

She continued to look at him intently, concern still etched all over her face.

"You're a terrible lair James," she said softly.

Harbid sat down weakly on his bed.

"I don't think this job agrees with me anymore," he said.

She walked over to him and sat down on the bed next to him.

"To be honest, I don't think it ever did."

"Everything about the job, or just part of it?" She asked.

"At first, it was just that one part," Harbid admitted.

"But now that's the only part I can see."

She placed her hand on his shoulder and gently squeezed it.

"I know how you feel Lieutenant."

Harbid turned to face her.

"Did you just call me Lieutenant?"

"You sound a little disappointed," she remarked.

"I thought you'd be happy."

"If I'd known all it took for you to follow regulations, was for me to a have a major career crisis, it would have saved me a lot of frustration," said Harbid with a weak smile.