Chapter 24

I draw my curtains shut the first thing when I get home and then quickly change. I dry my hair and then leave for the hospital. I enter my mother's room and feel better when I see her eyes open. I walk slowly and sit by her. Her eyes flicker to me, need and desperation evident in them. I feel my eyes water and I lean down and kiss her forehead.

"I know mum. Its really hard for you. To just sit there and not being able to do anything. I know you want to talk, tell me how you feel, tell me how much you love me. And I know that it is so tough for you. Its hard for me too mumma. I want nothing more than to hear your voice again. To have you with us. And I promise its gonna happen soon. You will be okay very soon. I can feel it. Just stay strong and don't stress yourself. If you want to be back, you need to be healthy and relaxed. You are a fighter and I know you won't give up. I won't let you. You have to and you will be fine soon. Just hang on okay?" I feel tears on my cheek as I kiss my mother's forehead once again. Her eyes shut in a pause and then there are tears when she re-opens them. I wipe them and switch to a different topic in order to cheer her up.

I realize I fell asleep when dad shakes me. I jolt and wake up for a second thinking its mom's hand waking me up. But then I realize its dad. I look out of the small window and feel surprised to see its late night.

"Hey baby girl. You look tired." Dad states and the memories from the evening resurface. I just nod my head and look at mom. Her eyes are closed so I assume she is sleeping.

"Yeah I was studying and stuff. What time is it dad?" I ask.

"Its 11.00 Sam. I had to work late today but I didn't expect you to be here this late." 

"Yeah um- I was just missing mom a lot so I came. Can I stay the night here?" I ask hopefully and dad immediately shakes his head.

"No Sam. You are tired. Go home. Its a Sunday tomorrow so you can return in the morning." He explains but I quickly shake my head.

"No dad. Actually I need to study tomorrow. So please let me stay the night with mum.' I say desperately and dad thinks for  while. He nods after some moments and I sigh in relief. I know he needs a night's sleep too.

"Okay Sam. But I'll be here early morning tomorrow and then you will rest and study the entire day. Okay?" Dad asks and I nod eagerly. I leave for the washroom so dad can be alone with mum for a while.

When I return I see him kissing her on the cheeks. Also mom is awake and her eyes seem a lot more livelier.  I clear my throat as I enter and dad  gets up. He picks up his coat from the side and leaves with a brief goodbye. I yawn as I walk to the bed again and take a seat by mom.

"Well, I am staying the night here to bore you. Dad said I can't come tomorrow again since I'm here for the night but I'm gonna come anyway. Its a secret okay." I conclude with a wink, whispering the last sentence. I make small random talks with mumma until I see her eyes drooping. I kiss her forehead and wish her a good night. I just sit there, looking at mom with a longing that I haven't felt recently. I wish she was fine so I could tell her about how I feel for Xavier. So that I could tell her the events of today and then just a few words from her would make me feel tons and tons better. I don't feel sleepy yet so I decide to call Carly and Bella.

I walk till the hospital canteen and then make the call. I chat randomly and then hang up. I want to tell them about my evening with Xavier  but hospital is not the place to discuss that especially with the terrific reactions that Bella will give me. I buy myself a cup of coffee and then return back to mother while sipping it. I just walk around randomly and then take a seat when I feel sleepy. Its past midnight and I finally feel like sleeping. I lay my head near mumma's hand and let sleep take over.

I wake up early in the morning when the doctor comes in for a checkup. He takes some readings and smiles at me politely. He then calls in for a nurse and instructs her to give mom some injections and then he instructs something about the nasogastric tube. I yawn as he leaves and sit beside mom who is sleeping. Its around 9.00 am when dad comes in the room and tells me to leave. He looks quite fresh since he slept yesternight which is a rare thing these days. As I'm about to leave, he calls me

"Samantha." Dad halts me and I turn around.

"Yeah dad?"

"When I returned home yesternight, Mr. West's son - Xavier, was on our front porsche waiting for you. He looked quite serious so just meet him when you return." He says and my heart thumps. I cover any weird reactions and just nod simply. I quickly leave all the while thinking of dad's words. I park in the driveway and then run to my house. I don't want to face Xavier yet. How will I explain my weird behaviour from yesterday? Thankfully Xavier isn't anywhere around and I breathe in relief. I jog to my room and the first thing I see is three pieces of paper lying on the floor. I open them one by one.

'Hey Samantha. Sorry for whatever wrong I did today.'

'I need to talk to you about something. Ping me when you get home.'

'And I just dropped these note by standing on the plank. Didn't enter your room or anything.' 

The last one makes me smile lightly. I look up to my window, pondering if I should talk to him yet or not. I decide against it (because I'm a coward) and go to the washroom to change. I wear my shorts and an orange t-shirt. I thump on the bed, tired. I wonder how dad manages to stay in the hospital every night and then work the entire day. My heart swells when I realize yet again how much dad is giving up on for mom. And how much he loves her. My mind once again takes a dig at the old happy times. My bed gives me the comfort that I didn't receive all night and I fall asleep.

I wake up when my stomach grumbles and I realize I didn't even have breakfast today. I take quick strides to the kitchen and make some noodles for lunch. I eat almost like a monster but that's me with food. As I put the dishes in the sink, the doorbell rings. As I walk to the door, I almost hope its not Xavier. But a part of me hopes for the contradictory. I open to the door and to my surprise see a nervous looking Noah standing there, his eyes casted down. I smile and take him inside.

"Hey buddy! Whats up?" I ask him and he looks up at me. His face looks like he would burst into tears any moment and I feel concerned.

"Hey hey hey Noah. What happened? Are you okay?" I ask concerned.

"Sammy. I-I attidently bloke your car." He says sadly and removes the car I gave him from his small pocket. Its is quite crumpled with both its tyres gone

"Pleashe don't get angly. Mommy said she will get you a new one." He says again in an incredibly cute voice.

"Oh my God Noah. You don't even have to say sorry. The car was yours the minute I gave it you okay? And I am not angry at all." I assure him and his eyes light up like he was never even about to cry. That is what makes him so cute.

"Thant you Sammy. You ale the best!" He says and I ruffle his hair, laughing.

"Nope. You are the best Noi." I say with a wink and he smiles with his dimples showing up. I pull his bubbly cheeks and kiss each of them. I play with him for a while and give him a chocolate bar which he being the so well-mannered kid he is, shares with me. I take a bite when I hear him.

"Mind if I take a piece too Sam?" Xavier says, standing at my door that I left open.

OH-UH!!!

Phewww... An update after soo long... I'm gonna be more frequent now onwards, I promise.

*looks sheepishly around*

Vote, comment and share if you liked this chapter! Have a great day/night :-)